Gary, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Senior Technician

Dodge Avenger: How to remove ring that holds fuel pump in place?

Customer Question

How to remove ring that holds fuel pump in place? Tried hammering and using a rench.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Gary replied 5 months ago.
Hi there,There is a special tool for many fuel pump retaining rings, vehicle specific.But if you can't get a tool, you should still be able to drive the ring around with a hammer and drift or punch.Knock a bit at one side then the other etc.I have yet to have one I can't undo.Gary
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
As I wrote, I have tried the hammering, but it does not budge at all. Where can I get the tool?
Expert:  Gary replied 5 months ago.
Have you tried some "rost-off" penetrating fluid around the ring, it sounds like it is partly corroded in place.The tool is genrally only available to dealers as they are quite expensive.Do you have a Dodge dealer near you, that may lend you one?Gary
Expert:  Gary replied 5 months ago.
Hi again,How have you gone with your problem?I hope my advice has been of assistance to you.Please rate my service at your nearest convenience.Kind regards Gary