sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist

Horn keeps honking at random but internal cab horn on the steering

Customer Question

Horn keeps honking at random but internal cab horn on the steering column does not work
JA: Many things can cause steering issues. Some simple, some complicated. Fortunately, the mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: horn honks long and loud with no warning
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: no control of honking the horn from the steering wheel
JA: OK! The Dodge Mechanic will help you with the diagnostics so you are sure to get this fixed right. Is there anything else important you think the Dodge Mechanic should know about your Dodge?
Customer: would be nice to fix rather than honking at traffic to get to the nearest shop 3 hours away
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Dodge Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 5 months ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!There are quite a few things that can cause a horn to honk on it's own, especially depending on what the vehicle is, but based on your description I'm going to guess you have a DR body Ram with a bad horn switch. Horn switch failures causing the horn to honk on it's own weren't unheard of.What year and model is the vehicle?