Robert
Robert, ASE Certified Master
Experience:  Dodge Master Certified, Dodge Sprinter Certified
49095596

2007 5.9 diesel @ 65000 mi turns over but won't start .......

Customer Question

2007 5.9 diesel @ 65000 mi turns over but won't start ....... it started for a second or two and now nothing
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Dodge. The Dodge Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: 2007 5.9 diesel @ 65000 mi turns over but won't start ....... it started for a second or two and now nothing
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes .... me, old retired mechanic
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have fuel from the electric pump and fuel when I disconnect line at injector ................... question, when I crank the engine should the oil pres be registering?
JA: Is there anything else the Dodge Mechanic should be aware of about your Dodge?
Customer: I had it since new and this is it.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Dodge Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
Hello, welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is*****'m a Certified Auto Technician with 28+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. please keep in mind that I may need to ask questions of you before I can answer. When you reply please feel free to add as much detailed information as possible pertaining to your concern. You stated: "question, when I crank the engine should the oil pres be registering?"Not necessarily, it may not register until the engine actually starts.... Either way, low oil pressure will NOT stop the engine from starting....Low Fuel Rail pressure WILL definitely cause a no start. Rail pressure must reach 2000 psi for the engine to start. If there is a high pressure leak, it can cause a no start. Also worn out injectors can cause this also due to excessive return flow...Try this: Get a can of starting fluid and remove the intake air hose from the air cleaner, spray a 1 0r 2 second shot down the hose. WITHOUT waiting for the wait to start lamp to go out, crank the engine for up to 10 seconds to see if it starts. Post back the results and we can go from there...Thank you, ***** ***** you need additional information, don't hesitate to ask. If I have answered your question, Please kindly"Rate" my service, it is greatly appreciated. Thank you and thanks for asking your question!