Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech, 30 years exp. troubleshooter, driveability tech

2000 Dodge Caravan 2.4L has intermittent electrical problems.

Customer Question

2000 Dodge Caravan 2.4L has intermittent electrical problems. The other day, the speedometer was not working for the first time, then started working again. The fuel gauge sometimes reads empty, then goes back to normal. Low fuel bell was ringing when there was a full tank, probably in conjuction with fuel gauge glitches. A couple of months ago, the Alternator Lamp was on and we didn't use the car for several weeks. Then I jump started it to take it to a mechanic for a diagnostic test. While driving, the lamp was not lit. The diagnostic tests indicated that the alternator is charging the battery without and with load. Everything is working fine now, but I don't want to have my wife get stuck if another charging malfunction occurs.
JA: Lots of things can cause problems with the battery. The Mechanic will know what to do. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have run the BCM diagnostic test. It didn't return any codes, the instruments went through the test normally. It ended saying 999, instead of END as I expected, according to the instructions given by a master mechanic in a Dodge forum.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Mechanic should know about your Dodge?
Customer: Not that is applicable. Just mechanical issues like the passenger seat being unable to recline. It was purchased new, is a base model. Oh. I just remembered, the AC and Heater fan is also working intermittently. I'm wondering if all of these glitches are related to a bad solder joint in a circuit board, a short, or bad connector.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dodge
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The air conditioner and Heater fan problem is the top priority other than the possibility that the alternator problem reoccurs. Note that the battery is only a few months old and the terminals have been cleaned and sealed.
Expert:  CHRIS ZAPANTIS replied 5 months ago.
Hello im Chris ill try to help. let me know when you are on.