Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech, 30 years exp. troubleshooter, driveability tech
2947720

Im having a Check engine light with code p245a and im trying

Customer Question

Im having a Check engine light with code p245a and im trying to figure out the problem.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Dodge. The Dodge Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: I have cleaned the egr valve and cooler and having the code p245a. I have checked the power on the pink wire for the egr cooler bypass and i have battery voltage. Im trying to figure out the next step
JA: Lots of things can cause problems with the battery. The Dodge Mechanic will know what to do. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have cleaned the egr valve and cooler and having the code p245a. I have checked the power on the pink wire for the egr cooler bypass and i have battery voltage. Im trying to figure out the next step
JA: Is there anything else the Dodge Mechanic should be aware of about your Dodge?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Dodge Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  roy replied 7 months ago.
good afternoon my name is ***** ***** I will assist year, model, engine??? Roy
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
2008 dodge ram 3500 6.7
Expert:  roy replied 7 months ago.
ok, check the attachment and tell me what you have doen so far Roy
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I have cleaned the egr and egr cooler. Them i got the check engine light. I cleaned the egr temp sensor. Then i checked power at the egr cooler bypass valve
Expert:  roy replied 7 months ago.
ok, so you had no check engine light until you did the cleaning??what did you clean with???what was the voltage at the bypass valve??? Roy
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No check engine light until after cleaning. The cleaning solution from the dealer. The bypass valve had 12.6 volts with the key on
Expert:  roy replied 7 months ago.
do you have a scan tool to look at information?? Diagnostic Test 1. OTHER DTC'S Ignition on, engine not running.With the scan tool, read DTC's.Are there faults present for the VGT, EGR Airflow Control Valve or Mass Airflow sensor? Yes Repair the open or short to ground in (F348) Smart Power Relay Coil Feed circuit.Perform POWERTRAIN VERIFICATION TEST - 6.7L. See: Verification Tests\Powertrain Verification TestNo Go To 22. OTHER DTC'S Are there any faults present for the Exhaust Gas Recirculation Temperature sensor or EGR Aiflow Control Valve Circuit errors? Yes Troubleshoot those DTC's first.No Go To 33. P245A ACTIVE Is P245A Active? Yes Go To 4 -No Repair the intermittent condition.Go To 7Refer to the INTERMITTENT CONDITION - DIESEL Symptom. See: Powertrain Management\Computers and Control Systems\Testing and Inspection\Component Tests and General Diagnostics\Intermittent Condition4. COOLANT SYSTEM Check coolant system for correct coolant concentration, correct fluid level and any signs of contamination.Does coolant system check okay? Yes Go To 5No Repair coolant system issue.Perform POWERTRAIN VERIFICATION TEST - 6.7L. See: Verification Tests\Powertrain Verification Test5. EGR COOLER Remove EGR cooler.Inspect for excessive cooler fouling/debris.Inspect aftertreatment system damage.Is EGR Cooler Fouled, or aftertreatment system damaged? Yes Clean EGR Cooler per service manual or replace if necessary or repair or replace aftertreatment system.Go To 7No Go To 66. (K671) EGR COOLER BYPASS STATUS CIRCUIT OPEN Turn the ignition off.Disconnect the C1 ECM harness connector.Disconnect the EGR Cooler Bypass valve harness connector.NOTE: Check connectors - Clean/repair as necessary. Measure the resistance between the (K671) status circuit in the EGR Cooler Bypass Valve harness connector with the (K671) status circuit in the ECM harness connector.Is the resistance less than 10 ohms? Yes Replace the EGR Bypass valve.Go To 7No Repair the open circuit or high resistance.Go To 77. EXHAUST GAS RECIRCULATION (EGR) TEMPERATURE SENSOR Remove the EGR temperature sensor and check for soot on the sensor.Is there soot on the sensor? Yes Wipe off sensor using brake cleaner or contact cleaner, allow to dry and re-install.Perform POWERTRAIN VERIFICATION TEST (DIESEL). See: Verification Tests\Powertrain Verification TestNo Reinstall, repair complete.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Yes i do have scan tool
Expert:  roy replied 7 months ago.
good, use your scan tool and verify your voltages at the sensor and the bypass. make sure the pcm sees these Roy