Juan Crespo
Juan Crespo, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  A.S.E. Master Technician, Advanced Level, Emissions - Asian, Domestic, & European
19298667

Dodge: 99 3/4 ton van with 318 hard to start...when cold I

Customer Question

99 3/4 ton van with 318 hard to start...when cold I have to crank it 10-12 seconds before it starts,when not cold it has to crank 5-7 seconds before starting. I replaced plugs,wires,rotor button,dist. Cap and coil ...didn't help. What could it be? It runs great after it starts
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Juan Crespo replied 7 months ago.
Hi there.Sounds like the fuel pressure regulator is failing. Check fuel pressure first thing in the morning when the engine is cold; pressure should rise immediately to 45-49 psi, then not fall below 30 psi for at least another 5 minutes. If the fuel pressure regulator needs to be replaced, it is recommended that the fuel pump module be replaced - complete module costs about the same as the regulator. Click here for example from RockAuto.comBest Regards.