sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

1996 Ram 1500 with 5.2l / I have installed a new crank sensor,

Customer Question

1996 Ram 1500 with 5.2l / I have installed a new crank sensor, new cam sensor pick up unit in distributor and a new PCM. Took it for a test drive and it set the p1391 again and now I also have the p1398 running out of ideas. the harness appears to be in good shape. it checks out ok with a meter.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Dodge. The Dodge Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes, I am a professional mechanic
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: checked harness, replaced sensors and PCM
JA: Is there anything else the Dodge Mechanic should be aware of about your Dodge?
Customer: it has 136000 miles on it and I drive it just occasionally
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Dodge Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 11 months ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!If the cam and crank sensors have been replaced with known good parts and P1391 is still setting then odds are you have a cam/crank sync issue. If sync is out far enough then it will cause this code. Can you go into the PCM and then to the set sync function and see what the reading is?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I don't have any software. I only have a code reader.
Are you familiar with the manual way to set sync with a voltmeter?