-Brad-, Dodge Dealership Tech
Experience:  16 Yrs Chrysler/Dodge Technician. ASE Master Certified(L-1)

Neither key fob 2012 Ram 1500 is working to lock

Customer Question

Hi neither key fob for my 2012 Ram 1500 is working to lock or unlock the doors. Well, they work sporadically.
JA: Dealing with a malfunctioning key fob can be frustrating and really inconvenient -- the mechanics will have somegood ideas about what to do. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: Truck starts/runs fine, doors intermittently lock or unlock when trying the key fobs. Doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it. It worked fine last week (didn't drive anywhere on the weekend), and yesterday it started acting up. Tried the other key fob once I got home (assuming a dead battery or something simple), but both fobs only work intermittently. Called a dealership and the ONLY thing they were concerned about was what my mileage was (I'm assuming whether or not it's under warranty vs what they can charge me for), yet I see all sorts of people reporting/complaining about issues like this when I do an internet search.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? I'm not sure of the exact price, but there's only a $5 deposit. The rest of the price information will be on the page I send you to.
Customer: If what you're going to send me is going to fix the problem then $5 is a it's not then it's wasted money. You tell me, is this a common issue?
JA: Is there anything else the Dodge Mechanic should be aware of about your Dodge?
Customer: Not that I can think of.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Dodge Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  -Brad- replied 6 months ago.
Good afternoon and welcome to JustAnswer!!My name is ***** ***** I have worked for a Chrysler-Dodge-Jeep dealership for 19 years and I will do my best to help. Are the batteries new in the remotes? What is your VIN number?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Only use one fob regularly the other one is rarely used. Got them
With the truck. I'm in my office so I would have to go outside to my truck to get the vin
Expert:  -Brad- replied 6 months ago.
Ok if you are only having issues with 1 remote and the other remote works fine I would try replacing the battery in the remote before replacing it.. But of your having issues with both remotes then you will need a scantool to see what codes are in the WIN module which the remotes talk to..
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
So either way I have to go the dealership. Someone else is having the exact problem as me in the same parking lot but different vehicle. What are the odds.
Expert:  -Brad- replied 6 months ago.
Well we have had some issues with some RF interference around building with electronic equipment and if both remotes for your vehicle act up only at your work then I would suspect RF interference, but if only 1 remote is giving you issues I would try and replace the battery first.. If you need anymore assistance feel free to reply and don't forget the RATING before leaving the site!!Have a great day,Brad
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Expert:  -Brad- replied 6 months ago.
You are very welcome! And thank you for the 5 Star rating.. Have a great evening,Brad