sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist

I have a 1995 Dodge Dakota 5.2L that shuts off while driving.I

Customer Question

I have a 1995 Dodge Dakota 5.2L that shuts off while driving.I replaced the cam sensor,crank sensor,MAP sensor and the throttle position sensor plus the ECM (3 times).The problem only happens when warm.I have read that the cam sensor connector itself can have a bad connection inside the molded plug.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Dodge. The Dodge Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes,I'm a an electronic technician.
JA: Is there anything else the Dodge Mechanic should be aware of about your Dodge?
Customer: The vehicle ran OK for 14 years before this problem began.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Dodge Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 5 months ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!It's definitely possible for the pickup plate to fail. It's signal isn't needed after the engine starts initially but if the reference circuit shorts to ground or sensor ground shorts to voltage within the sensor then it will blank out the crank sensor's signal and the engine will die. You may also have a coil or wiring issue, there was a fairly common splice in the ASD circuit that could cause an intermittent connection on these.The first step in diagnosing the problem is seeing if any fault codes are setting. Have you checked for codes?