sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

I have a 2000 Dodge Grand Caravan with a 3.3 when it came in

Customer Question

I have a 2000 Dodge Grand Caravan with a 3.3 when it came in it would not crank so while I was checking it I check for spark and injector pulse and I had Spark but no injector pulse what I had to do to make it crank was put a ground wire on the starter relay to provide a ground for the signal coming from the ignition switch I do have power to my injectors but no pulse if I shoot gas in the intake it will run
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: The only other thing I can tell you is that I checked pin 10 and pin 50 at the PCM and I had a good ground on both
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dodge Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Customer: Ok
Category: Dodge
Expert:  K. Wiggins replied 11 months ago.
Hello, with the key on is there 12 volts on the dark green & orage wire at each injector?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
There is in the crank position but not in the Run position
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
With the scanner hooked up I do show RPM on the crank and RPM on the cam and cam sync. But I do not show ignition cycle 1 2 or 3 or injector MS
Thanks, ***** ***** wanting to make sure the ASD relay was working. With everything you have showing up properly it may be ECM related but I'd like to get a second opinion for you. I'll open this back up to other experts so someone else can offer their thoughts.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Okay, whenever this happens the customer stated that it would crank over like it had a dead battery or bad connection and then it just went away. Whenever I grounded the starter relay and I got the van to crank over it sounded like it had good grounds and good connections everywhere
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 11 months ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!If it started and died three times and locked the starter out then you have a factory security issue.Does the instrument cluster work correctly?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I called the dealership with the VIN number and they said no Factory anti theft system , standard key
Please post the VIN.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
1b4gp44g2yb710958
Have any parts been replaced?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Not yet , I would consider PCM but usually when I get a bad PCM I can't bring up any data
What needs to be dealt with first is the starter not engaging. How many terminals at the starter relay have power with the key in the crank position?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
With the key in the start position there are two hot wires the starter signal wire is good the problem is the ground wire for the signal at the relay and from what I can see here on shopkey that comes from the PCM
Yes, the PCM controls the starter relay.What does the TCM show for shifter position?What does the PCM show for ignition switch position in the crank position?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
As far as the transmission the scanner shows each gear when you shift it ,when it comes to the ignition power I'm looking in engine control and I don't see a place to tell me whether the key is in the crank position
Does the TCM show shifter position in park with the shifter in park then?What does the PCM show for desired starter relay with the key in the crank position?When you go into DTC's does it show fuel cutoff due to VTSS?Is it possible that the PCM or BCM were replaced at any point before you received the vehicle?