Eric Gardner
Eric Gardner, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE
78075103

Im mary. we have a 2006 dodge durango. put a pcm in it and

Customer Question

hi im mary. we have a 2006 dodge durango. put a pcm in it and it still is burning up coil pack #5.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Dodge. The Dodge Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: Well the truck has been abused if you know what i mean. but anyways we had the transmission rebuilt and the pcm put on. as soon as i picked it up it blew a fuse and the coil pack #5. its like it doesnt have a ground.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: No we are a shop and my mechanic is. if we can find out how.
JA: OK! The Dodge Mechanic will help you with the diagnostics so you are sure to get this fixed right. Is there anything else important you think the Dodge Mechanic should know about your Dodge?
Customer: Not right off.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Dodge Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Eric Gardner replied 7 months ago.
Thanks for your decision for choosing us. That can be a very frustrating issue. If the issue is only specific to #5 then we can be sure that the PCM is at fault.The PCM provides the grounding for the coil driver circuits. Coil number #5's driver is not powering off and is staying in the closed position. That is causing the coil to overheat and burn down.Unfortunately, the PCM will need to be replaced to fix the problem. When replacing the PCM make sure to check the wires going to the coil #5 as there will very likely be damage to the wires in the form of melting conduit. If the wires look questionable, make sure to replace them or the driver in the new PCM will fail again. Let me know if you have any other questions.
Just checking to see if you have any other questions, if not, please rate my service.