Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech, 30 years exp. troubleshooter, driveability tech

I have a 1997 dodge Dakota*****auto matic v-8 JA:

Customer Question

I have a 1997 dodge Dakota*****auto matic v-8
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Dodge. The Dodge Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: starts and then quits adding acceleration does not help the gauges also will not read tach will not move I have alreadyc hanged the engine computer does same thing any thoughts ??
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes it is a vehicle I sold to a good customer
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: changed engine computer on rh fender and have done the procedure to disarm the security system lock doors with power lock and then unlock with keys have so on both doors.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Dodge Mechanic should know about your Dodge?
Customer: the gauges don't seem to function correctly the amp gauge will not move when key is turned on also lights on bottom of gauge cluster don't seem right.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Dodge Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Derek Werner replied 6 months ago.
Hello thanks for using JustAnswer!It sounds like you have a couple different problems going on. Lets start with your main concern, acceleration cutting out. Have you had fault codes pulled from the engine control module?Does the tachometer always drop out when this occurs like drops down or almost to 0rpms
Expert:  Derek Werner replied 5 months ago.
Hi, just checking in i haven't heard back from you. Do you still need help with your vehicle?