Juan Crespo
Juan Crespo, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  A.S.E. Master Technician, Advanced Level, Emissions - Asian, Domestic, & European
19298667

1987 Dodge Ram D 100*****3.7 ltre ammeter flickers

Customer Question

Hi 1987 Dodge Ram D 100*****3.7 ltre ammeter flickers 14 volt on alt test/
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Dodge. The Dodge Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: alt is 1 yr old battery 2.5 yrs old kicked fuse box the other day when entering truck at times signals and wipers don't work and ammeter flickers
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: I hope so can get it to a guy if needed
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Dodge Mechanic should know about your Dodge?
Customer: 28 yrs old 139,000 miles one driver and my daily driver
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Dodge Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Juan Crespo replied 7 months ago.
Hi there.All of the circuits you mention go through the ignition switch (charging, turn signals, wipers) and it being 28 years old makes it the most likely cause for these issues - a bad fuse box would cause many more circuits to stop working, niot just the ones going through the ignition switch.To gain access, remove the steering column shrouds. Start the engine, then wiggle the switch connector wiring harness on the left side of the column. If any of the symptoms can be duplicated by wiggling the wires, replace the electrical part of the ignition switch.Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns.