Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech, 30 years exp. troubleshooter, driveability tech

Starter wont engage on an 06 Dodge Magnum 3.6L. I am assuming

Customer Question

starter wont engage on an 06 Dodge Magnum 3.6L. I am assuming I need to replace the starter. It sounds like the bendix is not engaging the ring gear.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Dodge. The Dodge Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: It made a kind of grinding noise for a while before starting the car but now it just makes a noise and will not start the car
JA: My old Jeep sounds like a steam radiator sometimes. It must be old age. The Dodge Mechanic will know what your noise means and what to do about it. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes I would like to fix myself. It is an 06 Dodge Magnum 3.6L
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Nothing. Just getting into it.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Dodge Mechanic should know about your Dodge?
Customer: No I don't think so
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Dodge Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  xsvector replied 6 months ago.
yes sounds like a starter be sure to check the flywheel ring gear for damage