Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

I have a 2005 dodge ram 1500 3.7 i have a problem filling the

Customer Question

i have a 2005 dodge ram 1500 3.7 i have a problem filling the gas tamk it just started friday night can the problem be fixed without replacing the tank
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Dodge. The Dodge Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: cant fill the gas tank thats it just started friday i have the truck for 10 years never had a problem before
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yeah
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: nothing so far
JA: Is there anything else the Dodge Mechanic should be aware of about your Dodge?
Customer: other than i wired a light bar on it friday its totally stock
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Dodge Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
HI,If the check engine light is on, we need to retrieve the fault codes as it may be related - evaporative emissions issue. If it is not on, there are 3 common causes -fuel filler vent tube that runs beside the fuel filler tube is obstructedraw fuel in the vapor canister due to overfilling tank and some going down the vent tube into the canistervent valve on fuel tank is bad. So, the first step is to disconnect the vent tube at the fuel tank next to the filler tube and use compressed air to blow it out.If still having trouble filling tank, then pull the hoses at the vapor canister(see attached for location) and if fuel drips out of the hoses or the canister, replace the canister. If ok, then you will need to drop the tank and try to clean out the vent valve and if it will not open and close, then you have to replace the tank. Most of the time it is either obstruction in the vent tube or fuel in the vapor canister Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. ThanksIf for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT today.Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better.All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
HI,I have attached diagram of vent tube Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. ThanksIf for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT today.Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better.All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
I noticed we have not yet resolved your concern you asked about. I would sure appreciate it if you would reply so I can offer my skills and knowledge and repair guide access to help as best I can.~Do you still need more help?~Confused by my info request or answer?~Need more time?~Confused on how the site works?~Need more detail or a different explanation?If the answer is YES to any of these just press reply and lets work on this concern some more.If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them. If you would like me to assist you. Just bookmark this page so you can access my profile easy and post a new question from the question box on my profile page.Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
If you have any other questions on this, feel free to ask for more help by clicking the REPLY TO EXPERT button, otherwise please click the OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE to pay for services rendered per your customer agreement as this is a PAYSITE and experts are not paid for their time, services, or knowledge until you do so.Thank you. If you have a subscription service, your rating is still required, however you are not charged again