sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

Dodge caliber: I recently had to replace my catalytic converter

Customer Question

I recently had to replace my catalytic converter due to a lot of breaking on the pipe, before this was donei obviously had a lot of lost power, the car could barely make it up a hill. Now that its been replaced and the codes been cleared i still dont have my power back. I can make it up a hill but only at around 4500 rpm. ive checked to see if theres any lingering codes and i get nothing. Ive had so many problems with this car im at a loss as to what i can do. Its an 07 dodge caliber sxt 2.0 liter engine
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Eric replied 7 months ago.
HI, Most likely when the converter broke apart internally, chunks of it shot into the exhaust pipe and possibly all the way to the muffler and is still causing a restriction which will cause that loss of power. The exhaust backpressure should be checked and if high, the exhaust pipe and muffler dropped and if possible, cleaned out and if not, replaced. This is pretty common to happen when the converter comes apart. Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. ThanksIf for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT today.Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better.All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Well see thats the thing, and i could be wrong but the internal part of the cat was fine, it was the flexible knuckle at the exhaust manifold side that broke apart. I can show you a picture of it if that would help explain it
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I mean ill gove replacing it a shot, ive wanted to for a few years now just never had the money to.
Expert:  Eric replied 7 months ago.
Hi,Was the inside of the converter checked after it was removed to check for it being broken up on the inside?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Yes, i myself checked it, damn thing looked almost brand new. Ive had a couple people tell me it could be my vacuum lines, but i dont think it would cause this much power loss. Even getting a go from a dead stop is terrible unless im pointed downhill
Expert:  Eric replied 7 months ago.
Hi,Ok, there wont be any issues with the rest of the exhaust then so we can scratch that. How does it idle?Any hesitation when accelerating?Any misfires?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
When i first start it, it idles at about 1500 rpm until i start driving it around, then it idles normal at around 725-750. I get an occasional hesitation from the time i hit the accelerator to when it takes off. And ive never had it misfire
Expert:  Eric replied 7 months ago.
HI,My only other thought on cause would be burnt valves from the exhaust leak at the converter, but you would have misfires and rough idle usually. I am going to opt out and see if another expert may know
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Alright, well thank you for trying. I really appreciate it
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 7 months ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!Has fuel pressure been tested under a load?