sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

2003 Dodge Cummins, tranny wont shift max spped 20 mph JA:

Customer Question

2003 Dodge Cummins, tranny wont shift max spped 20 mph
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Dodge. The Dodge Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: Fluid is topped off, and drives fine for a day or so. then it just stays in what's seems to be 1st or 2 nd gear (automatic tranny)
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Nothing yet, got a P0700 code on the dash
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Dodge Mechanic should know about your Dodge?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Dodge Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 9 months ago.
hello and welcome to JustAnswer!If it's stuck in first gear then you may have a governor related issue or the kickdown band may not be applying. The band anchor may have fallen out of position, the band may have failed or the servo could be leaking.P0700 has set in the engine controller because there is a code stored in the powertrain control module, the first step will be to use a scan tool or code reader to see what that is. The problem is very likely related to the trans issue.If you don't have a code reader or scan tool you can have codes read for free at most big chain parts stores such as Autozone.