Dodgerench, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  30+ years Dodge/Chrysler exp., ASE Master with L1 certification. Driveability/ combustion specialist

Avenger: Why does my 2012 dodge avenger lose power wont pull

Customer Question

Why does my 2012 dodge avenger lose power wont pull when its wet or raining.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Mike V. replied 6 months ago.
Hi there,Is the check engine light on?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 6 months ago.
OkDoes the engine buck when this is happening?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
no it does not
Expert:  Mike V. replied 6 months ago.
I guess, I am not going to be able to help you out today. I am going to open this back up for the other experts. Please don't reply or it will lock it right back to me and no one else will be able to answer.Sorry I am not able to assist you with this.
Expert:  Dodgerench replied 6 months ago.
Hi, this is Ed.Try disarming the Traction Control the next time you have an opportunity to drive in the rain. Water might be affecting a wheel speed sensor output, making it appear that you have a wheel that's either spinning faster or slower than the rest, which can result in a traction control event. Engine output is severely derated during those times because the vehicle systems are desperately trying to regain traction (real or imagined) and one of the first things to go is engine power output. There should be a flashing ETC (lightning bolt) and a Traction Control prompt shown in the instrument cluster when this happens, but in daylight may go missed. Pressing the Traction Control button to disarm the feature should show either an immediate improvement if this is the core issue, then finding the reason why water affects the system will have to be discovered.