Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

Dodge Ram 1500 SRT-10: I have a 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 SRT-10

Customer Question

I have a 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 SRT-10 (Quad cab, 8.3L/V10/Automatic) that after driving for awhile and the truck is hot, living in Phoenix that is never an issue, and then any little wiggle, bump or jostle in the road causes the truck to die. It may restart once the main engine harness is moved then when cold it always refires and runs fine. Truck runs perfect all other times but washboard roads (not going off road but unimproved roads lets say) also cause it to shut down.
So far it appears moving and/or squeezing the main engine harness, from PCM and grounds on R/F fender ro right under the intake is when the issue seems to occur (right at the area where harness bends under plenum) but pulled wires from harness with no obvious signs of damage.
When the issue occurs the PCM, fuel pump and main ignition relay also are inop and a scan tool will not communicate with PCM as it totally shut down, so obviously a main power circuit or ground for that circuit. Working without wiring schematics so basically tracing wires.
Truck is slightly modified with custom exhaust, throttle body, PCM tune, new wires and coil packs, engine/trans/rear end all rebuilt many miles ago....problem just started and without any recent work performed. Current mileage is 221,345 but truck is like new and runs strong when the problem is not rearing its ugly head.
Seems to be a broken internal wire conductor but before tearing off the Plenum, which is hours involved, wanted to make sure I am not missing anything? Does not appear to be a ground issue as again when squeezing the bend in the harness and truck is HOT it will fail upon each squeeze. Any/all help is appreciated. New harnesses are unavailable and want to make sure I am not chasing a ghost by removing the plenum and searching that harness for damage or simply rebuilding the harness myself?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Gary replied 7 months ago.
Hi there,Sounds like you have proved the area in the harness already.When you can reproduce as you have described, you are past halfway.I've had many harness faults on many cars, it's a great feeling when you find it.Good luck with it.Gary
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Gary....this answer was not helpful....I know it appears to be that the issue is where I mentioned in the harness but want info from a Vipe qualified Tech who may have insight into this particular vehicle....simply stating it seems you found it is not what I am willing to pay for an answer.
Expert:  Chris (aka-Moose) replied 7 months ago.
Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose). I normally log in after 3 pm central. Please make sure to let me know exactly what is needed from me so I can provide EXCELLENT 5 STAR service. The previous tech has opted out, would you like me to try and help?
Hello again Chris here,1) When customers come to Just Answer the website and the experts want them to have a great 5 star experience.2) We also want them to be so pleased that they come back for future needs.3) I have the feeling you were not pleased with my help because the post was not rated and or you need me to help more. If so please do reply.4) I have an option for an additional fee to upload diagrams, repair guides, find a repair facility, or call you if that would help. Thanks Chris