Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience

Dodge: My 2000 Dodge ram 3500 5.9 L diesel engine loses power

Customer Question

My 2000 Dodge ram 3500 5.9 L diesel engine loses power when it's cold as soon as it's warm it will Kickin do you have any suggestions what is stopping it
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Chris (aka-Moose) replied 6 months ago.
Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose). I normally log in after 3 pm central. Please make sure to let me know exactly what is needed from me so I can provide EXCELLENT 5 STAR service. I am sorry for the long delay. We got really busy today. I am checking to make sure you still need help?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Yes I'm still looking for an answer to my problem. I don't understand why it loses power until It gets warm and then it's like nothings wrong.
When it's cold I can put the pedal to the floor and it barely goes and then as soon as it gets warm it goes. It's like somebody turn the power switch on. If I turn the key off and turn it back on it while it's cold, before it reaches 140° engine temp it will go for a minute and then it loses power until it's warm. Sometimes I do this over and over to get down the road before it warms up.
I assume there are no warning lights on nor codes stored?Do you have access to a scan tool that can monitor the fuel pressure actual and desired?The injector pump is the most likely cause and the transfer pump the next likely cause. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------On your screen at the top you should see a rating 1-5 stars and a green submit button. Please make sure to select one and press submit. I am not compensated by the website unless a customer rates. Rating only pays me from the deposit you have already made, it does not charge you more, nor close the post. Also all follow ups are free and welcome.Thanks Chris
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
There's no codes and the fuel pressure is correct and the pumps seem to be working perfectly I think it's a sensor somewhere That sending a wrong signal to the computer
If there was a sensor signal issue there would be codes stored.Can you tell me the actual and desired fuel pressure idling cold compared to idling hot?
Expert:  Chris (aka-Moose) replied 5 months ago.
Hello again Chris here,1) When customers come to Just Answer the website and the experts want them to have a great 5 star experience.2) We also want them to be so pleased that they come back for future needs.3) I have the feeling you were not pleased with my help because the post was not rated and or you need me to help more. If so please do reply.4) I have an option for an additional fee to upload diagrams, repair guides, find a repair facility, or call you if that would help. Thanks Chris