sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

Dodge Durango: 99 Durango states no can bus will not crank

Customer Question

99 Durango states no can bus will not crank has known new PCM and crank sensor has 5 volt from the primary at PCM still states no bus
Category: Dodge
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I also have no communication with a scan tool
Expert:  Juan Crespo replied 7 months ago.
Hi there.NO BUS means the modules/computers in your Durango are no longer communicating with one another - usually this is caused by bad connections/solder joints in the instrument cluster circuit board, but it can also be caused by an internal short in any of the sensors that send signals to the PCM. Are the gauges in the cluster working? The scan tool you're using, is it a DRB-III or equivalent? By "not crank", do you mean nothing happens when you turn the ignition to START?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No the cluster is not working at all minus the odometer and warning lights I'm using a autel maxisys scan tool with scope it will turn over but is a no start.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Which solder joints in the cluster would I be looking for
If the 5 volt reference signal is OK, then the most likely cause is the cluster, although there is a possibility that the new PCM got damaged as well and that's why there is no communication with the scan tool. Before we get into the cluster, wiggle the connector and see if that restores gauge function. If not, disconnect it and see if the scan tool then communicates with the PCM.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No it does not communicate with it unplugged
OK. Then chances are the PCM got damaged or there is a connection/wiring problem. Do you still have 5 volt reference on the Violet/White wire at the TPS connector?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Yes to the crank, cam, tps, and map
Plug the cluster back in. Turn ignition on. Does the check engine light come on? If not, check voltage at pin 3 of the data link connector (Violet/Brown wire). Is it about 2 volts?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Yes I've checked the Pinout of the dlc and yes the check emg light comes on it goes off after the test mode then comes back on
The check engine light coming on, plus the 5 volt reference being there both tell us the PCM is working. Could be an issue with your scan tool; unplug the scan tool and turn the ignition on; then measure voltage between ground and DLC terminal No. 11 (White/Black wire). If voltage is 1.8-2.3 volts, replace scan tool cable or scan tool.So far we've focusing on just the NO BUS issue; please keep in mind that there could be other reasons why the engine won't start, like the anti-theft system being activated. Can you share some history on how, when and under what circumstances these issues come up?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Yea just the no bus issue it just shut off and wouldnt start back up was running fine when it shut off
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
That pin has 2.4 volts
Sorry about the delay - local power/internet outage2.4 volts at DLC terminal 11 is within the accepted margin of error that indicates an issue with that scan tool or its cable and explains the lack of communication with the PCM - Chrysler products are finicky that way. Please let me know when you can get a different scan tool that you can try.In the mean time, try wiggling the PCM connectors and see if the engine starts.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I used three scan tools none of which conected on this car but did on other vehicles not sure there may be an issue with one of the other modules on the can circuit causing a short
Sorry about the delay - lost power/internetIf the original PCM and its replacement couldn't communicate with a scan tool, most likely the problem is related to bad connections or shorts at one or more of the modules on the BUS (there is no such thing as a CAN circuit on this year model vehicle).Regarding the scan tool, as far as I know, only the DRB-III can detect whether or not the BUS is OK. At the dealer, following the factory service manual, we would plug in the DRB-III, then we would start disconnecting the modules on the BUS one by one until we got the "BUS OPERATIONAL" message on the screen.Without you having access to a DRB-III, I don't think I can contribute anything that would help with this issue, so I'll opt out and reopen the question to the field to let others chime in. Please don't reply until another expert responds or the site will cycle the question back to me.
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 7 months ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!The PCM is either down due to an internal failure, a loss of power or ground, the 5v reference circuit being shorted to ground, or voltage on the sensor ground circuit. If the 5v reference is present then you can rule out a short to ground there.Have the PCM powers and grounds been load tested?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Yes I actually found what the issue was today . The bus was shorted at the firewall pass through due to a chaffed wiring harness repared the bus got data again found that the ctcm had an internal failure causing the no start issue replaced it and all is we'll again
I'm glad you got i repaired.