-Brad-, Dodge Dealership Tech
Experience:  16 Yrs Chrysler/Dodge Technician. ASE Master Certified(L-1)

Engine light is on. am being told is the exhaust filter and

Customer Question

engine light is on. am being told is the exhaust filter and is plugged up. What do I do to fix
JA: It's good that it's giving you information about the problem. The Dodge Mechanic will know what to do. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: I've been told by a friend that I can just clean it. Is that true?
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: I have a 2013 ram diesel 2500
JA: Is there anything else the Dodge Mechanic should be aware of about your Dodge?
Customer: No not that I'm being told of. I am being told all the other maintenance has been performed
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Dodge Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  -Brad- replied 6 months ago.
What codes are active? Is the tailpipe black or clean?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Not sure on codes. Tail pipe clean
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
When turn key on engine light blinks 10 times then stays on
Expert:  -Brad- replied 6 months ago.
Is the dealership telling you the DPF is clogged? Since the tailpipe is clean then that means your DPF is not busted which is good news.. I will need to know the codes to better help you get it fixed..
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Is a mechanic telling me. He is not a dodge dealer though.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Also looking at tail pipe. There is black in it
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Not sure of codes. Dose it have to be hooked up to a machine to give codes? Or can you tell me how to get codes?
Expert:  -Brad- replied 6 months ago.
If the tailpipe is black then your DPF is busted and at the very least you will need a new DPF which is $1,850.00. Or depending on if you have emission in your area you could get a programmer to remove the DPF which will increase your fuel mileage as well as engine performance.. But if you have emission testing you will need a replace the DPF which is the Diesel Particulate Filter.. I hope this helps and if you need more assistance feel free to reply, and don't forget to RATE before leaving the site!!Have a great day,Brad
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I am wanting to do the work myself. How or where do I go to get instructions and what parts am I looking for.
Expert:  -Brad- replied 6 months ago.
I would get the DPF from your local Dodge dealership. You can replace it yourself but I would highly suggest getting the regen timers reset with a scantool as well as update the ECM and CCN so this doesn't happen again.
Expert:  -Brad- replied 6 months ago.
Do you need more assistance?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
What effect does this have on the vehicle if not done right away?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Expert:  -Brad- replied 6 months ago.
It will derate the HP to the point you can't drive it so this needs to be addressed asap.. Don't forget to RATE my assistance so I'm compensated for my time..Glad I could help and have a great day,Brad