Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Honors degree in Mechanical Engineering, worked 8 years as a Formula 1 engine engineer.
12772297

I just recently purchased a 95 Dodge Viper. I purchased it

Customer Question

I just recently purchased a 95 Dodge Viper. I purchased it from an individual that had no idea how to operate the remote, alarm system, digital proximity device.....nothing. I drove it from NY to PA without any issues. I put on the tonneau cover the other day and when I came out that evening the "ALARM SET" light was flashing and the battery was dead. I charged the battery and now when I turn the key the engine will do nothing . The fob which seemed to work prior to this now does nothing, even with new batteries. I am going to disconnect the battery as stated in other threads but I wanted to know if you could give me some concrete steps to reset the alarm system so I can drive my car. I live in Carlisle, PA and the spring car show is this weekend and would like to go cruisin' with some of the out of town rides that come to visit........please help!! thanks!
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Matt replied 7 months ago.
Hello 1st thing to try, is to use the key fob by pointing it at the vehicle. Wait for the alarm to sound for six seconds, and then press the lock button on the key if this doesn't work then I'd try resetting the ECU by disconnecting the battery cables and clamping them together for 10 mins. Remove both battery leads from the battery then use a nut and bolt or G-clamp to hold both battery lead terminals together. This discharges any capacitors / memory within the ECU and around the car so ensures all memory settings are wiped clear - back to the factory default. This will reset all the systems on the car and you may need the radio security code to get it going again, and ensure that the keys are in your hand when you re-connect the battery as the car may lock and turn on the alarm
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I will try this first thing in the morning. Do you have any idea what could have caused this to happen? Also, do you happen to know anything about the digital proximity device that is located beside my right leg in the drivers side? I have no idea if that is part of the factory system or aftermarket as there were no manuals with the car?
Expert:  Matt replied 7 months ago.
hello what usually causes it is when the fob battery and / or the main car battery has gone flat and this allows the security system to lose its settings so as you've changed the fob battery already then it may be wise to consider replacing the main battery too , especially if its more than 5 years old the proximity device I 'm pretty sure is an aftermarket device and may also be the source of the problem as sadly most of these things aren't installed that well or made that well so try the battery stuff 1st and if that doesn't help then I'd consider getting a car security firm / mobile electrician to remove the aftermarket device
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I will check that out. The individual who I purchased the car from stated they just put a new battery in when I began inquiring about the car. With that said, I will know for sure once I take a look at it in the morning. I have a feeling it was something with the security system as I did not drive the car Sunday or Monday. Tuesday morning I fired it up, took it to get a new annual inspection and returned home, placed the tonneau cover on and went inside for the day. When I came out that evening to put the top and windows in..... I found it in that condition. So once I get it fired up and running, I will investigate the security system in more detail and try and figure out what is factory installed and what, if anything, is after market. Do you have any idea where I could find a diagram or any information that would help me determine what the factory system included and how it operated?? If it's located in one of the owner manuals or a repair manual from Dodge I could find one to purchase.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The battery idea did not work. The only thing that has changed is now the factory alarm goes off every time I touch the car......
Expert:  Matt replied 7 months ago.
OKlets try disabling the security system for now To manually disarm the security system, first take off the drivers' kick plate under the steering column (five #2 Phillips-head screws). Next, look under the steering column and you will see the Security System Control Box. After locating this, find the Green/Orange wire connected to the Security box.Take an ordinary jumper wire and connect one end to the Green/Orange wire where it runs into the Security box. Take the other end of your jumper and connect it to a good ground on your vehicle. As soon as you make this connection, the horn will sound three times and your security system will be disarmed.To perform any resets or diagnoses, including actuator tests, you would need to use a Direct Read-Out Box (DRB), or equivalent bi-directional scanner.