-Brad-
-Brad-, Dodge Dealership Tech
Experience:  16 Yrs Chrysler/Dodge Technician. ASE Master Certified(L-1)
10114124

Dodge Ram 1500: My 1996 Dodge Ram 1500 is making a loud clanking

Customer Question

My 1996 Dodge Ram 1500 is making a loud clanking noise when I shift from reverse to park & vice versa. The transmission is working fine. The noise is coming from the rear. What could it be?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  -Brad- replied 7 months ago.
I would also check your U joints in the driveshaft, if any are rusted around the boot I would replace it.. But if your U joints are fine then your issue is in the axle.. I hope this helps and if you need more assistance feel free to reply, and don't forget to RATE before leaving the site!!Have a great day,Brad
Expert:  -Brad- replied 7 months ago.
I would also check your U joints in the driveshaft, if any are rusted around the boot I would replace it.. But if your U joints are fine then your issue is in the axle.. Side gears, ring and pinion clearance, etc.. I hope this helps and if you need more assistance feel free to reply, and don't forget to RATE before leaving the site!!Have a great day,Brad
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It does this with no load on it. I don't know if your advice is correct until I try it.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It doesn't make the noise from Park. It's from R to D.
Expert:  -Brad- replied 7 months ago.
When you have your foot on the brake and shift from reverse to drive you are putting a load on the axle. If you look under the vehicle and the drive shaft is turning when the wheels are not then your play is in the axle. I hope this helps and if you need more assistance feel free to reply, and don't forget to RATE before leaving the site!!Have a great day,Brad
Expert:  -Brad- replied 7 months ago.
Thank you for the 5 star rating, and feel free to request me in the future for all your needs..