Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience:  Dodge/Cummins and Chrysler Certified Master Tech

Is my name. My Dodge Dakota stops w/o warning and

Customer Question

***** ***** is my name. My Dodge Dakota stops w/o warning and the gage shows bus5
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: It's like the gas cuts off, the truck will crank over but will not start back for about 15-20minutes
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dodge Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Chris replied 6 months ago.
Hello and welcome to just answer. After it stalls, will it restart immediately or do you have to wait for a while before it will start?Chris
Expert:  Chris replied 6 months ago.
Sorry, I now see that you mentioned it needs to sit for 15 to 20 minutes before it will start. The fact that you get the "noBus" message tells me the PCM (engine computer) is shutting down and will most likely need to be replaced. Do you have a scan tool or code reader available? Chris
Expert:  Chris replied 6 months ago.
Hello? Do you still need help? Chris
Expert:  Chris replied 5 months ago.
Well I am not sure where you went, and still want to help you. So hopefully you see this answer; There are 3 common causes for this stalling. 1 a failing crank shaft position sensor, 2 a failing cam shaft position sensor, and 3 a failing PCM (engine computer). Either one can act up when the engine warms up. Do this: try to get your Jeep to an auto parts store like AutoZone and ask them to connect their scan tool to your vehicle and check for any trouble codes. If there is a code for "loss of crank sensor signal or cam shaft sensor signal" then have the appropriate sensor replaced. If there are no codes at all, then suspect a failing PCM and have it replaced. Most auto parts stores will connect their scan tool for no charge to you.Hope this information helps, and let me know if you need more assistance with this. Chris
Expert:  Chris replied 5 months ago.
Hello, just checking back to see how it is going. If my answer has helped you, please help me by leaving a rating or accepting my answer so I may be credited. Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra. It allows me to be credited for my work. Please rate or accept in a positive way. You can ask follow-up questions after you rate or accept. Thank you! Chris