Robert R
Robert R, ASE Certified Master
Experience:  Dodge Master Certified, Dodge Sprinter Certified
49095596

2006 Dodge Ram 1500 5.9 gas. Engine shut down in traffic today

Customer Question

2006 Dodge Ram 1500 5.9 gas. Engine shut down in traffic today and would not crank; instead, little red security light flashes on dash.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Battery is strong, all other electrical seems fine. I'm planning to have the truck towed to a shop. I bought the truck used, with one chip-key and have had no previous issues.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dodge Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Robert R replied 7 months ago.
Hello, welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is*****'m a Certified Auto Technician with 28+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. please keep in mind that I may need to ask questions of you before I can answer. When you reply please feel free to add as much detailed information as possible pertaining to your concern. Sometimes the SKIM Module (Sentry Key Immobilizer Module) can electrically "lock up". When this happens, it results in the red security light to be illuminated and a no start condition.Sometimes you can get the SKIM module to "reboot" by disconnecting the vehicle's battery for a few minutes. Try this and see if it helps. If it does, I would still highly recommend to take it to the dealer and have the SKIM Module replaced as this is likely to happen again. The reason I recommend to take it to the dealer is because the SKIM module requires special programming that requires the factory scanner to "Marry" the SKIM module to the PCM and also to program the keys.Let me know if you have additional questions...Thank you, Robert ____________________________________________If you need additional information, don't hesitate to ask. If I have answered your question, Please kindly "Rate" my service, it is greatly appreciated. Thank you and thanks for asking your question! Robert
Expert:  Robert R replied 7 months ago.
Hello, This is an automated response that was scheduled when I posted my answer. I just wanted to check in with you to see if you need more help with your concern. A non rated question normally times out within 7 days, so I wanted to stay in contact with you to see if the problem has been solved. If I have helped you resolve your concern and you have already rated my response, I want to say "Thanks, ***** ***** you know you can still follow up on this concern if needed. Also to let you know you can bookmark "" My Profile Page""(Bookmark this link) in case you have another automotive question in the future. Make sure to begin your question with "Robert R" so I will be able to easily find it If we are still working on your concern, please post a reply so we can continue.explanation as to why. I may have a better explanation for you... It also helps me to refine my answers to help future customers more thoroughly and efficiently.If you are happy with my answer and have not rated my response, please do so asap to complete the transaction. It is greatly appreciated as I recieve no compensation until you do so... If your not satisfied with my answer, BEFORE rating, please post a reply with a short