Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.
14928985

Dodge 2500 5.9 diesel: why is it when i go to start my truck

Customer Question

why is it when i go to start my truck it wont start i have to turn the key 5or 6 times then it will start i just replaced the ignition switch and notice the key turns hard also 2003 dodge 5.9 diesel 4x4 thanks Mick
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Pete replied 7 months ago.
Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay. Is the engine cranking over at all with the starter with this issue here but not starting or is the starter not engaging at all? Let me know,thanks Pete.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
it will click when you turn the key then i ll have 2-3 days with no problem fires right up
Expert:  Pete replied 7 months ago.
Is this click coming from under the hood in the engine bay area?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
sounds like the starter under my feet thats where the clicking sound is
Expert:  Pete replied 7 months ago.
O.k.,this sounds like a fault with the starter itself.I have seen these act up like this here before needing replaced.It can intermittently engage and allow starting then fail and cause no noise or a clicking noise when trying to start it.You will need to have the signals to it tested when it is acting up to verify this is the cause here.This is done with a multi meter or test light. If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete