Virtual Wrench
Virtual Wrench, Dodge Mechanic
Experience:  35 years Master Mechanic
2617050

My name is ***** ***** I have an 08 ram 1500 4x4 that has developed

Customer Question

My name is ***** ***** I have an 08 ram 1500 4x4 that has developed a noise from the driver side front wheel...
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: cant really tell if its the wheel bearing or perhaps an axle problem its a low grinding or howling noise most noiticed at highway speeds...and really only when i move the steering
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dodge Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dodge
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
ok i paid the fee
Expert:  Virtual Wrench replied 7 months ago.
Hello,This sure has all the symptoms of a bad wheel bearing and is common after around 100K miles.How many miles are on it please?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
95000...i lifted the front end and check to see if there is any play by grabbing the tire top and bottom... and left to right....i didnt notice any movement
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
and i can spin the tire when its jacked up and dont hear anything...grinding or otherwise
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
thats why im confused...if it was the bearing...wouldnt i hear something free spinning the wheel?
Hi,You wont be able to actually feel the movement. It needs a real heavy load to make it noisy.as much as we replace these i can pretty much say for sure its what is at fault. The new bearing comes with a new ABS switch.click hereLJ
you can get them online for around $75-100 or at any local parts store.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ok...got it...
Ill get one on order...the bearing was my first guess...
I got a 20% coupon for advance auto in the mail last week...so that will wortk out... thanks for the help narrowing it down
My pleasure!Thank YOU for asking!Larry
My goal is that you are pleased with my answer(s). I strive for a positive rating. It's the only way i get credit. You can still ask me questions for free after the rating.Thanks again.