sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist

My 04 stratus r/t is acting up. The batt light flickers, head

Customer Question

My 04 stratus r/t is acting up. The batt light flickers, head lights dim when flickers along with loss of power. It is not the battery or alternator as they have been tested
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Um besides the power loss when it starts flickering. It also acts like it's misfiring and I hear from inside the dash drivers side like the relays are ticking.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dodge Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 6 months ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!The battery light comes on when charging voltage is abnormally high or low. The headlamps are dimming because charging voltage is low when this happens.Possible causes are the alternator, battery, cables and connections, and the alternator control wiring.There is little chance that the alternator is not the issue. It may have passed at the time it was checked, but the only time testing can be done is at the time the battery light is on.There is no doubt that charging voltage is low, it's just a matter of why. Output directly at the alternator can be checked when the light is on and compared to the battery, if it's actually ok at the alternator but not the battery then there is voltage drop in the cable or connections.If voltage is low at the alternator then it's control circuits would need to be tested and then the alternator condemned if voltage is low when commanded on.