Vladgmru, Automotive Electrician
Experience:  I've been working with American made cars since 1992.

If I let my 2005 Dodge Dakota sit couple of days the

Customer Question

if I let my 2005 Dodge Dakota sit for a couple of days the battery will be dead. Brand new battery. I find no lights anywhere that are on that could be draining it. What gives?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Runs great otherwise. New battery cranks right up. But if you let it sit a couple of days it will be dead.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dodge Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Vladgmru replied 6 months ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer.My name is ***** ***** that something stays ON and drains your battery.Before you go any further, please make sure you can remove your ignition key out of the lock ONLY in the Off position. I have seen many times when the key could be removed in other positions resulting in battery draining. Also, if you have any aftermarket radio or other devices, make sure they are off or just disconnect them and see if it helps.Since you can not see anything obvious that might drain your battery like lights etc, then you will need to perform a parasitic current drain test in order to find how many amperes it draws and which component actually draws it.That test requires using a digital ampere meter or current clamp able to measure very low current.The max acceptable current drain is 0.04A ( 40 milliamp) .You should measure for current drain with everything OFF, doors shut etc. You will need to wait a bit till all modules go to "sleep" and then check you meter reading. If you have above O.04A, then you need to start removing fuses one by one and observe your meter to check if readings drop or become zero. This is the way you should find a fuse that stops current drain. Then you will need to check what components are powered by that fuse and trace it down till you find the problem.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Expert:  Vladgmru replied 6 months ago.
Could you please actually rate my answer 3 or more stars? This is the only way I can get credit for my time and effort.Thanks,Vlad