Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech, 30 years exp. troubleshooter, driveability tech
2947720

Brake lights were on all the time until i pulled the fuse on

Customer Question

brake lights were on all the time until i pulled the fuse on the trailer connector and trailer brake, but now the brake lights will work with the key off when you push the brake pedal, but soon as you turn the key on to run the brake lights are on
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Dodge. The Dodge Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: replaced the brake lights switch and both bulb were burnt out in the back and also they burnt out at the back of the cab and I took the fuse out of the trailer connector for the trailer brake, but I got power at the trailer connector on the right and left brake lights and turn signal, i have 12 volts, I didn't have brake lights when i first started, but my bulbs were burnt out, this is a dully with a diesel cummins engine in it.
JA: There are so many things that can cause battery issues. Some simple, some complicated. The mechanics have tons of experience in that area. Will the car start?
Customer: when i put the bulbs in it pulled the battery down, it would not start until i charged the battery up and pulled the trailer brake fuse out and now my battery is staying charged
JA: How old is the battery?
Customer: it has 2 batteries less than 6 months old and it had a new alternator
JA: Anything else I can tell the Dodge Mechanic before I connect you two?
Customer: no
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Dodge Mechanic about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Amedee replied 7 months ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I ca assist you with your question. Can I start by getting your VIN? Thank you!
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
3D7MS48C95G730323
Expert:  Amedee replied 7 months ago.
Thank you. So your saying that the brake lights illuminate right when the key is turned on? Is that correct?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
YES
Expert:  Amedee replied 7 months ago.
Do the parking lights come on too right when the key is turned on?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
no, not for 26 more
Expert:  Amedee replied 7 months ago.
ok, how about an extra $5?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
no, just credit my money back and i will talk to someone else
Expert:  Amedee replied 7 months ago.
ok
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
if you can't help me or won't help me -finish talking so i can give you a bad rating
Expert:  Amedee replied 7 months ago.
Now why would I do that? Think about it? Does that make sense?
Expert:  Amedee replied 7 months ago.
I can help you by walking you through some pinpoint tests.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
because you are going to be turn in to bbb
Expert:  Amedee replied 7 months ago.
Please keep in mind, we are trying to help you.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
not unless i get another mechanic
Expert:  Amedee replied 7 months ago.
We have an A+ rating with the BBB. http://www.bbb.org/greater-san-francisco/business-reviews/professional-services-general/justanswer-in-san-francisco-ca-82403
Expert:  Amedee replied 7 months ago.
Now, based on the information you have provided me with (which is not enough to be able to pinpoint the problem over the internet), no expert will know what is wrong with your vehicle. Some tests/checks need to be done in order to track the root cause of this brake light issue.
Expert:  Amedee replied 7 months ago.
So we can move forward and I can help you diagnose this problem if your willing to do some checks for me, otherwise if not, your more than welcome to process a refund on your end.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Let's move forward what do I need to do
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
never mind i want a different mechanic - close our conversation
Expert:  Amedee replied 7 months ago.
ok
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
i fixed it myself, i do not need another mechanic. close my conversation