-Brad-
-Brad-, Dodge Dealership Tech
Experience:  16 Yrs Chrysler/Dodge Technician. ASE Master Certified(L-1)
10114124

Ram 3500: 2005 Ram Dodge 3500 - replaced engine and fuel injectors

Customer Question

2005 Ram Dodge 3500 - replaced engine and fuel injectors - have full fuel pressure at tank and at engine pump have tested every injector and every piece 3x over but for some reason I am not getting any fuel pressure to the injectors
Category: Dodge
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Have followed all the steps here: http://oregonfuelinjection.com/index.php?page=sec/dodge-diesel-diagnostic-info.htmI even put the fuel injectors into another truck and it ran just fine.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Note I am a Master Tech with 22 years experience at Chrysler
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ive never seen this before
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Fuel pressure is reading 10% of what it should be
Expert:  Juan Crespo replied 7 months ago.
Hi there, fellow Chrysler Master Tech (although retired).As far as I know these Cummins are rather simple; fuel gets to the high pressure pump that sends it to the rails then the ECM opens the injectors and Voilà; we have combustion. It looks like we need to turn to our trusty scan tool to read a few PIDs that can give us a clue as to what is happening here. What are you working with, STARscan or wiTECH?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
snap on solus, the problem is an internal fuel leak, I am not building pressure, What has me puzzled is there is 0 injector return, 0 leakage from the overflow valve, normal return from the cp4 pump. I have tried every trick I know. I suspect the return side of the cylinder head is plugged,preventing the injectors from purging the air, thus no fuel pressure. I even replaced the cascade valve and fuel pressure regulator with know good parts, no change.
BTW, Me too! Retired Dodge tech, too many years! ASE master auto and truck, Chrysler master powertrain, chassis, and electrical. Too much knowledge that isn't helping me this time!
Oh, c'mmon... a graphing scanner??? and there I was all excited thinking I was gonna get to play with a wiTECH ;-)So, no pressure at the rail whatsoever? Have you tested the pump itself? I mean it is not unheard of for one of these Bosch pumps to go bad.
Oh man... I just noticed the time. I have to log off. I'll opt out so others may try to help you. Please don't reply until another expert responds or the site will cycle this back to my box (which will be unmanned since I've logged off)
Expert:  -Brad- replied 7 months ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer!!!My Name is ***** ***** I have worked at a Chrysler-Dodge-Jeep dealership for 19 years and I will do my best to help you get your vehicle repaired... I see you replaced the engine so let's start there.. Was it a Reman engine or used and if used was it the same year model engine? Did you reuse the same common rail and CP3 pump? What codes are setting in the ECM? Is the lift pump supplying 500ml @ the CP3 in 10 seconds when you bump the key? What does scantool show for rail pressure when cranking? Is any fuel coming out of the CP3? Talk soon,Brad
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
yes fuel flow is in spec from the lift pump as well as the cp3, fuel psi cranking is about 140 psi, no codes due to no start. engine is a reman, same year etc. I think the really big indicator here is there is no fuel return from the head, zero! also, when I crack the fuel supply line at the injector pump, it get a small pressure release, in all my years I have never seen that happen. I have ordered 2 more fuel rail cap so I will have six, then I will know for certain where the issue is. I can be reached at glennsgarageok on google mail.
Expert:  -Brad- replied 7 months ago.
Block off the injectors and tell me if the rail pressure comes up. This will tell us if it's on the injector side or pump side..