Daniel Wilson
Daniel Wilson,
Experience:  Owner at DJ Wilson
65405794

2500: 2004 Dodge Cummins. When it is cold and I shift into

Customer Question

2004 Dodge Cummins. When it is cold and I shift into reverse it moves a little bit before it locks up and stops. It is not the brakes. Also, the dash trans gear indicator box around the gear you are in doesn't lite up until it warms up. Soon as you move the selector from Park the lite stops showing.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Daniel Wilson replied 7 months ago.
Hi Kurt, My name is ***** ***** am not sure I am understanding your symptoms you described. With the brakes applied, shift into reverse and the brakes release to allow it to move?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
When the engine is cold, first start of the day, when I shift into reverse and the truck starts to move backwards it then feels like the brakes come on but it is not the brakes. That has been tested. It appears there is a problem with the transmission or the electronics telling the trans what to do. Also, the lit indicator window in the dash that shows what gear you are in does not show after I shift from park. Later after it warms up the lit window shows and I no longer have the problem in reverse.
That sound more likes a software issue.I would try reflashing the ECM/PCM if there is no indications of internal mechanical problems, the oil is not burnt or discolored and there is no metal/debris... I would try that and then see if the problem still exists. Let me know
Hi Kurt, Did you get this resolved?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
That wasn't it in this case. It turned out to be something in the converter called a skag or stag? It requires a complete re-build or new transmission. Big dollars.
I see. Thanks for the update. Sorry to hear the news. I was hoping we could resolve it with a reflash and if the problem still existed I had a feeling there were internal problems. I try to eliminate the lesser expensive things first unless the symptoms and checks reveal the obvious.