Robert R
Robert R, ASE Certified Master
Experience:  Dodge Master Certified, Dodge Sprinter Certified

I have a 2006 sprinter and it runs great most of the time.

Customer Question

I have a 2006 sprinter and it runs great most of the time. It started to turn on the check engine light and then cutting power. If I'm on the freeway going above 55 it slows down and won't go any faster then 55. If I'm in the city it suddenly losses the power to get going fast, it wil go taking longer to accelerate if I pull over and restart it runs fine for some time. Then it repeats this.
JA: The mechanics have tons of experience in that area. Do you happen to have the code?
Customer: With a generic reader I get code p0088 fuel pressure to high.
JA: I'll pass this info along to the Dodge Mechanic so that he can get you a quick fix. Anything else I can tell the Dodge Mechanic before I connect you two?
Customer: It also has codes p0341, p0671, & p0380. They come on occasionally and turn off. No issues just happens. If I test any related parts I can't seam to find any problems.
JA: Got it. Let's get this figured out. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Dodge Mechanic about your situation and connect you two. You'll be on the road in no time.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Robert R replied 6 months ago.
Hello, welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is*****'m a Certified Auto Technician with 28+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. please keep in mind that I may need to ask questions of you before I can answer. When you reply please feel free to add as much detailed information as possible pertaining to your concern. When was the last Fuel Filter replacement done?Which code(s) come back more often when this problem happens. Keep me posted... Thank you, Robert
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Less thenyear ago.And the p0088 is the one that shows up when the power shuts off while driving.
Expert:  Robert R replied 6 months ago.
I guess I should have asked how many miles since the fuel filter was replaced? Also, I need to know how many miles are on the vehicle?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The vehicle is at 178k, it was replaced about 15k miles ago.
Expert:  Robert R replied 6 months ago.
I would HIGHLY recommend to start by replacing the fuel filter. A filter that is beginning to get plugged can set low rail pressure as well as high rail pressure codes. With 15k on the filter I would assume that it is beginning to get plugged. Remember, that it only takes ONE bad tank of diesel fuel to totally plug a fuel filter so this will DEFINITELY be the starting point. Replace the fuel filter, clear codes and road test while doing a few full throttle accelerations to see if the problem is solved. If condition still present, let me know, I have additional ideas for this concern.... Keep me posted and let me know if you have any additional questions... Thank you, Robert
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It doesn't happen at full throttle, it happens when cruising along at freeway speeds mostly. It sometimes happens a bunch of times in a day and then not at all for a week to a month.sometimes it happens at the beginning of a tank of fuel and then not again for a couple of tanks. The first time it happened it was about a week after I changed the filter. Then it did it a couple days later. Then it waited for a couple of months. Then it was fine for a month until it did it 4 times in one day. Then it didn't do it for 2 weeks when it did it 6 times in one day. Then it didn't do it for another 2 weeks, but one of those weeks it was parked then the it did it 10 times in one day. Then the next it did it 6 times. Then I started all this, but it hasn't done it all day.
Expert:  Robert R replied 6 months ago.
Usually a few full throttle accelerations will cause the code to set quicker...There is one thing that comes to mind but I need to know if the vehicle has had any recent work performed around the Turbocharger or injection pump? Let me know if there has been any recent work and we can go from there.Thank you, Robert
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No recent work there. An injector cracked and it was replaced, but nothing else related to th engine in 2-1/2 years. Although this actually started before it was replaced. The injector was replaced about a 4 months ago. Of coarse that doesn't include oil and filter. I replaced the oil and filter once since the time I did the fuel filter with the oil and filter change.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I've never had it set when doing quick throttles.
Expert:  Robert R replied 6 months ago.
At this time, I can post the diagnostic procedure but since you used a Generic Scanner, the P0088 does NOT come up on my Factory DTC database. The diagnostic procedure I am posting will list several codes which are the manufacturer specific codes for rail pressure malfunctions. This flow chart should help you with the diagnostic procedure and also lists most of the possibilities for this concern.Click below to view the document.Another thing to check is to be sure that the PCV heater connector and the Fuel Quantity Solenoid does not have the connectors crossed. When the connectors are crossed (they can reach each other's component and will plug in) it will cause similar issues. If you need locations of these 2 connectors, let me know, I can round up a pic showing these connectors...Keep me posted and let me know if you have any additional questions... Thank you, Robert
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Could you send me the locations of those connectors.
Expert:  Robert R replied 6 months ago.
Sure, No problem. Here you goClick Here to viewKeep me posted and let me know if you have any additional questions... Thank you, Robert ______________________________________Remember, RATING is REQUIRED to credit me for helping you! -- Please don't forget to Rate my service as OK Service or better. It's only then that I am credited... A "Poor" or "Bad Service" rating does not automatically result in a refund so if you would rather have a refund, please reply and let me know BEFORE rating and I will submit a refund request with Customer Service on your behalf... Please keep in mind, If you are not happy with your answer and you need additional info, please ask "before" you Rate my Answer. Please remember that this site operates on the honor system... Making sure that your expert is paid for your answer is GREATLY appreciated and is what allows experts to continue working for you and others...