Gary
Gary, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Senior Technician
84449473

Dodge ram cummins 5.9: what the best way to clean out the exhaust

Customer Question

what the best way to clean out the exhaust out after having a oil leak do to a turbocharger oil leak
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Gary replied 9 months ago.
Hi Luis,Is the vehicle still smoking after the repair?It would normally eventually disappear after some driving.A bit of oil residue in the whole system burnt into it will not hurt it, and will prolong the life of the system.How long do exhausts systems last on old smokey vehicles compared to 1990 type cars?Gary
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
turbocharger went out after nut came off inside the turbo
Expert:  Gary replied 9 months ago.
Do you mean the compressor nut?Did the nut go through the engine?Is the engine ok?Gary
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I still need to put it together turbo should be in tomarrow it not a lot of oil in there just want to make sure it want catch on fire
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
The nut gamed the turboand broke the shaft
Expert:  Gary replied 9 months ago.
Ok, the main thing is the engine is ok.I would take off the front half of the exhaust while you have the turbo off, and at least drain it vertically.Is there any oil at the very end of the tailpipe?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
no didnt run it to long only 8 to 9 miles
Expert:  Gary replied 9 months ago.
How wet is the front half of the turbo downpipe?If you wipe out any residue prior to assembly, then run the engine with the new turbo to warm everything up, it will smoke for a while, when you're happy that it is not too bad , then drive it around the back streets for a bit and eventually the smoke will stop. Gary
Expert:  Gary replied 9 months ago.
Hi again,How did you go with this?Hope all is good now.I hope my advice has been of assistance to you.Please rate my service at your earliest convenience.Kind regardsGary