Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech, 30 years exp. troubleshooter, driveability tech

Dodge Ram 3500 SRW: I have a diesel truck. Okay it's a 3500

Customer Question

I have a diesel truck. Okay it's a 3500 SRW dodge ram. It runs hot when I hit a certain speed. I start to feel a shake and then it cools down. Sometimes it doesn't. It gives off this weird metallic smell. I filled up the coolant cause I thought that it was the issue. I only have 191k miles on it. I barely broke in the truck. I'm thinking it's the thermostat. I had the oil change 3106 miles before the smell. I had the coolant refilled. This truck was my daily driver for a period of time. Now I won't drive it until its fixed. I'm willing to provide as much details as possible. I do allot of self work on this truck. I'm soon going to school to become a mechanic and try to get my master mechanics license, but until then. I will leave this in professional hands to get my baby back on the road.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  -Brad- replied 6 months ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer!!!My Name is ***** ***** I have worked at a Chrysler-Dodge-Jeep dealership for 19 years and I will do my best to help you get your vehicle repaired... I see you filled up the coolant, if it has a leak you will need to pressurize the cooling system to locate the leak then once you have repaired the leak I would retest to see if it's going to run hot. When it's ideling do you hear the fan clutch engage? Are there any codes in the PCM/ECM?