-Brad-
-Brad-, Dodge Dealership Tech
Experience:  16 Yrs Chrysler/Dodge Technician. ASE Master Certified(L-1)
10114124

I have a 2001 Ram 2500 5.9L V8 that I am having transmission

Customer Question

I have a 2001 Ram 2500 5.9L V8 that I am having transmission issues with the 46RE. I found a deal on a 1999 46RE. What steps would I have to take to make it fit/work?
JA: Good to know. The mechanics have tons of experience dealing with this sort of thing. How old is your transmission?
Customer: I'll be getting a 1999 46RE to place in my 2001 ram
JA: Ok. We'll get you to one of the go-to transmission guys. Other than the problems you mentioned, how has the car been running?
Customer: Everything else is pretty good
JA: Noted. I'll pass this info along to the mechanic so that he can get you a quick fix. Anything else I can tell the Dodge Mechanic before I connect you two?
Customer: That should cover it for now. Thank you
JA: Got it. Let's get this figured out. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Dodge Mechanic about your situation and connect you two. You'll be on the road in no time.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  -Brad- replied 8 months ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer!!!My Name is ***** ***** I have worked at a Chrysler-Dodge-Jeep dealership for 19 years and I will do my best to help you get your vehicle repaired... Can I get your VIN number to see if it will interchange?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
1B7KF23Z01J243722
Expert:  -Brad- replied 8 months ago.
Thanks for the VIN!!The VIN comes back on a Bright White 2001 Ram and the transmission will interchange with a 2000-2002. So the 1999 will not work allthough they are both a 46RE they are different.. So for this to work you will need to find a 2000-2002 Ram with a 46RE and it should work with no issues.. I hope this helps and if you need more assistance feel free to reply, and don't forget to RATE before leaving the site!!Have a great day,Brad
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I've read that I can change out the Valve body and a couple things to make it work. I was trying to get the steps to make it work.
Expert:  -Brad- replied 8 months ago.
If you wanted to swap the parts you will need to change the valvebody with all the wiring that comes with the connector because the later uses a different governor pressure solenoid/transducer.. Once you install the 2001 valvebody in the 1999 you should be in good shape.. I hope this helps and if you need more assistance feel free to reply, and don't forget to RATE before leaving the site!!Have a great day,Brad