sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist

I have a 2002 dodge caravan with 3.3, runs good in park,soon

Customer Question

I have a 2002 dodge caravan with 3.3, runs good in park,soon as put in gear and under load car studders,and I loose cam/crank synch ,suspect I am loosing crank signal,changes sensor,still same issue,code po340
Category: Dodge
Expert:  -Brad- replied 6 months ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer!!!My Name is ***** ***** I have worked at a Chrysler-Dodge-Jeep dealership for 19 years and I will do my best to help you get your vehicle repaired... Have you checked to see if the flywheel is cracked? It's a common issue we see with those and it will crack around the center. I always remove the dust cover and ting the flywheel to see if it's cracked, and it will crack around the center hub. When you put it in gear it puts a load on the flywheel which causes the code.. if you see any rust around the center then it's cracked and you will need to pull the transmission to replace it.. I hope this helps and if you need more assistance feel free to reply, and don't forget to RATE before leaving the site!!Have a great day,Brad
Expert:  -Brad- replied 6 months ago.
I hope this helps and if you need more assistance feel free to reply, and don't forget to RATE before leaving the site!!Have a great day,Brad
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I must apologize in my first post I said I seemed to be loosing crank signal first,we'll it actually seems to be cam signal, sitting in gear,foot on brake it's fine,soon as put under load it just dies,I loose cam sensor,then synch obviously, it bucks ,Jerks dies, now in meantime I took your advice checked flywheel,looks good
Expert:  -Brad- replied 6 months ago.
Have you checked the camshaft sensor wiring or replaced the sensor yet?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Yes I replaced camshaft ,and crank sensor, visually inspected plug, checked continuity through plugs while wiggling ,checked good, I got a borascope today gona really check flywheel good,but would it really be that hard to see? As I said van runs good in park and neutral ,put in gear it dies,and the times it doesn't die in drive soon as you give it gas to accelerate/move it dies. Watching scanner I will loose cam signal when it does it,not crank ...
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ive also noticed that its more prominent when in drive,not reverse if that helps at all
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 6 months ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!If you're only setting a P0340 then it's very possible you have a cam sensor wiring issue or it could still be the sensor itself. Having it act up under a load does make the flexplate a likely cause. It's possible that putting it in gear is allowing enough powertrain movement for a wire to open or short to ground though.With the trans in park and engine running, if you push the van in each direction against the park pawl does it miss or die?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you for your accepting this challenge,this thing has me pulling my hair out, it deffinently only does it in drive not reverse when power braking it, yes I tried letting it idle and push back and forth,I get no indication of a issue, I even lifted front end off ground,put in drive and soon as give it Gass lt immediately starts cutting out ,let off accelerator and it returns to normal, by having it off ground I thought that would eliminate alot of the movement of motor to kinda rule that out,I also have tugged,pulled,juggled every wire to try duplicate issue to no avail....just seems soon as rpm's increase in drive I loose cam signal for just moment,let off accelerator and it comes right back....
Have you monitored the cam sensor reference and sensor ground to see if one is being lost?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I monitored the reference from scanner,and yes it shows lost while it is running irrationally, but I have not checked ground, where would be best place to monitor this? At the sensor connection or the connector at the ecm? If at the ecm do you know which wires they are? Thanks
It would be done at the sensor connector, backprobing while the engine is running and the problem happens. The sensor ground is black/light blue, the reference circuit should be orange.