xsvector
xsvector, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  asetech
6149662

Dodge Ram 1500: My transmission pulled up a list of codes.

Customer Question

My transmission pulled up a list of codes. A lot of codes. P0841, a few others saying gear 1,2,3,4,5 incorrect ratio, and P0934
Category: Dodge
Expert:  xsvector replied 7 months ago.
incorrect gear ratio codes are 99 percent of the time internal failures... have you checked line pressures? does the rebuilder warranty his work? was the cooler flushed?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
He does warranty it, however it's 200 miles from the shop.
I picked it up Thursday to leave Friday for a trip 400 miles one way. I get half way there and the transmission slips and then gets out of gear. I pull over shit it off let it cool down and then it starts up and shifts fine for about a mile. Then slips, and does the same thing. I pull over do the whole thing over and over again till I get to an autozone. It pulls up a bunch of codes about circuit a,c, and d incorrect range/performance I believe.After I call the guy back and tell him the codes he tells me he thinks it the shift solenoid pack because he didn't replace it.Transmission fluid smelled fine not burnt at all, has the right amount of fluid. I am unaware 100% if he flushed the lines but I would be inclined to say yes as they are a good shop from what I have heard.
Expert:  xsvector replied 7 months ago.
if its slipping is not electronic...its either low on fluid or a internal failure...sounds like something went wrong on the rebuild...not a simple fix the tranny will need to be pulled and torn down
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Why does it shift just fine once I turn it off and back on then? It's like all of a sudden boom done?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It's like it pops out of gear then goes back and then goes completely out while I'm driving then I turn it off and on and drives fine for a moment
Expert:  xsvector replied 7 months ago.
but is it slipping? did he rebuild the valve body or at least clean it?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
He didn't. He only did bands and clutches in the transmission as far as I am aware. He said he didn't touch any of that stuff because it wasn't in the computers codes when he pulled them
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It doesn't feel like "slipping" when I said slipping I meant like I'm driving it revs likes it out of gear then it feels like it's in gear then it feels like it's out and then stays out till I turn it off and on
Expert:  xsvector replied 7 months ago.
they always need to be taken apart cleaned and inspected....at minimum... when a tranny goes bad debris generally goes thru the valve body... and it needs to cleaned and inspected on any rebuild.... either way the valve body and electronics are internal it will need to be opened up one way or another
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
So essentially I need to have it towed back to the guys because the solenoid pack won't fix it? I was hoping to buy that and install it myself tomorrow.
Expert:  xsvector replied 7 months ago.
highly highly doubt a solenoid will solve incorrect ratio/codes.... almost never the case
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
What are incorrect ratio codes? What are causes them to trip
Expert:  xsvector replied 7 months ago.
attached is possible causes