sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist

Dodge journey sxt 2.4: I had problem my engine rough after

Customer Question

I had problem my engine rough after start, obd II said p0300 and p2305, p2302 can you help me please. been 3 days to solve but still dead end
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Jack replied 6 months ago.
Hello and thank you for your question. I will do my best to provide sound advise based on the information you provide so please do not leave out any detail. Please allow me a moment to reasearch these trouble codes and I will get back to you. Thank you.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Expert:  Jack replied 6 months ago.
Ok. The P0300 is a multi cylinder misfire. this code is setting because of the other 2 codes. P2305-IGNITION COIL 2 SECONDARY CIRCUIT - INSUFFICIENT IONIZATION.. P2302 is the same only for the 1 coil. So these codes could indicate faulty coils, spark plugs, or an issue in the circuit. These could my required some extensive work to diagnois.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I did change some sensors like i said before but still same issue, in fact I did also strip all the wires from all sensors to ecu connector for continuities and physically check all wires and they are good condition.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
so in the end all good except for coil no 1 and 2 didn't fire ?
Expert:  Jack replied 6 months ago.
It would either be the coils or the PCM in that caseyou could swap coils clear the codes and run the engine, If the same codes return then I could be the pcm. If the codes change to follow the suspet coils, then you know its the coils.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I did swab coils as well and took pcm from other car same brand same year and same type of engine but still didn't work. in fact my pcm swab to other car and it work fine ..
Expert:  Jack replied 6 months ago.
If that is the case then I would look at the coils to be the issue, try you get the coils out of the same car you got the pcm from and put then in your car.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
when I replace coils, I meant replaced 4 of them with new coils
Expert:  Jack replied 6 months ago.
Well if you have replaced everything it has to be a wiring issue plain and simple.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I mention before that I did strip the wires for from all sensors to pcm and they are fine physic check and continuities check with VOM
Expert:  Juan Crespo replied 6 months ago.
Hi there.Those codes set when the ignition coil doesn't build enough electrical energy that can keep jumping the spark plug gap for at least 1 to 2 milliseconds. If spark plugs, coils, wiring and PCM are all OK, then the most likely cause is low primary ignition voltage.Start the engine. With your voltmeter set to 20V DC; carefully place the Red probe on any of the ignition coils positive terminals and the Black probe on the battery positive post. A reading of more than 0.5 volts will indicate a bad connection somewhere on the ignition primary circuit; probably on the Brown/White wire from splice 109 (see attached graphic for location) to the ignition coil positive terminals.Please let me know what you find.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Cheers ***** ***** coil plugs 3 and 4 (good one) each plug connector has 2 wire which is brown white was coming from positive 12 volt fuse box and blue white coming from ecu positive 5 volt. I believe grounding they took from engine block. All coils connector has positive 12 volt for brown white when ignition key on. But during engine cranking I lost postive 5 volt for coils connector 1 and 2 but on 3 and 4 they do have it as per timing order from ecu. My assume could be from ecu problem they didn't shots 1 and 2 for positive 5 volt trigger coils to spark plug on cylinder 1 and 2. I don't have manual exactly how dodge coil pack work, it should be same with other car types. And the funny is I took my ecu swab to other dodge with same specs engine and they running well. Perhaps you can help to ensure me how dodge coils pack work for those has 2 wires each connector plug to coils and I can't find asd (automatic shutdown) relay, ( none on condribution panel fuse and relay box) underhood and egr. Please.
Do you have harness wiring from ecu to all sensor?Cheers mate
I'm sorry, but I don't understand what you're doing, or why you're doing it. Did you perform the voltage-drop test on the Brown/White wire as I indicated? If yes, what was the result?Regarding the primary ignition circuit on this vehicle; the ECU does not ground any of the Dark Blue wires connected to the negative side of the coils, so measuring voltage there is both a waste of time and effort. Instead, this is how it works:With the transistor inside the ECU closed, current rushes into the coil and begins to build; then, when the transistor opens, all the built-up current jumps to the secondary windings inside the coil and goes out through the high tension wire on to the spark plug.I'm pretty sure I could help you diagnose this issue, but only if you follow my instructions as I post them without any deviations. I'll understand if you can't or don't want to do that, just please let me know so I can opt out of the question.Best Regards.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hi Juan,
Thanks for explaining. I did test as you said the results are 0 volt for 4 of them and for each wires. Yes please if you can help me will be awesome. And we do have couple hours different time so might be late to reply each chat.
What next step please ?
It was by chance that I happened to log in as I don't like to work this late.So far, if you did the voltage drop tests as I indicated, we know there is no voltage drop on the ignition primary circuit. Next step would be to start the engine and measure voltage across the battery posts. If not over 13 volts, then we need to load-test the battery and if OK, then we need to diagnose the charging system. However, if voltage across the battery terminals is over 13 volts, then leave the meter's Black probe on the negative post and place the Red probe on the positive terminal of the #2 ignition coil. If voltage less than exactly the same as that across the battery terminals, then we need to find where the drop is. If OK, repeat on the other three coils. If voltage the same as battery's on all the coils, shut engine off and erase all codes. Restart engine and drive the vehicle to see if the Check Engine light comes on again. If it does, scan for codes and post them so I can see them tomorrow after 2PM when I'll log in again.Best Regards.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hi Juan,
after started engine battery reading 13.8 volt.
during engine running each ignition coil 1 to 4, the reading are same 13.8 volt.
done for testing the engine light still on and blinking couple times while engine running.
engine off delete faulty codes, run engine again, scanned and showing same fault codes.
P2302 (current fault), P2305 (current fault), P0300 (pending fault).
FYI battery was replaced 2 months ago, every time engine running it shacking a lot and pipe exhaust next
engine flaming like ring next to O2 sensor after 5 minutes engine running.
and before this happen I got twice overheating, I took to dodge dealer service to get 36000 km service
(still 35600 km) and told them what happen. And they did service 36000 km. they said there is no indicating show overheating.
we taking drive for 5km more less then it happen overheating again and engine shut it self.
we wait cooling down and back to workshop. they have a look and open all cooling system, fuse, relays, wires, fans, flushing cooling fluid. but still same.
in that stage engine was running fine then suddenly it won't run again, engine can crank but won't running, we scanned crankshaft sensor fail and camshaft 2 sensor as well.
we replace them and running engine fine but it happen again overheating after 2 days and starting engine rough, shacking, we scanned and show p2302 p 2305 and p0300 till now.
mechanics starting with a lot of argue and test, they change some parts as well like camshaft sensor no 1, 4 new spark plugs, 4 new coils, engine coolant temp sensor, fan belt ( old one need to replace anyway small crack on rubber),
and also knock sensor they replace new. WOW I don't have problem change all sensors as long its good and it is need to replace, but till now still has same issue. Told them why not change the whole thing with new car pretty sure it solve the problems.
last minute they said need change new ECM, I spent a lot of money but didn't solve problem yet. and they have computer to diagnostic ECM and showing result good. and why should I change ECM then.
last deal I told them get your new ECM open, programming, put it on if running good I'll pay if not I am not gonna pay and they refuse because once you open seal good or not good I still have to pay same like all sensors before.
oh gosh they drive me crazy. I took that car drive to my home in that condition, and try do it my self.
So what I did,
strip all wire sensors to ECM check condition and continuity and they are good. and starting browse internet looking what the problems and meet you.
I am desperate, and waiting what is next step :)cheers,
I'm sorry, but I can't really understand what's going on. I'm going to opt out and let others try. Please do not reply until another expert responds or this request will cycle back to me.
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 6 months ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!Do you have an incandescent test light?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Sorry no I don't have that. I do have dvom only
What were the physical locations of the coils you replaced?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
4 of them
When were the coils replaced opposed to the PCM?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Sorry I don't get you man, what that mean ?
Please list the chronological order in which all parts were replaced.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Can you showme how to close this and keep stop gave me bills. I only once transaction but you keep me bills for 3 times