Amedee, Dodge Technician
Experience:  ASE certified tech advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector

I have an 08 Dodge Ram 2500 5.7 that has a "no crank" condition.

Customer Question

I have an 08 Dodge Ram 2500 5.7 that has a "no crank" condition. Actually it belongs to a non technically inclined friend of mine. I need some info to rule out possible causes.
JA: The mechanics have tons of experience in that area. Are those all of the "symptoms"?
Customer: Yes "no crank" "no start"
JA: Anything else I can tell the Dodge Mechanic before I connect you two?
Customer: nope
JA: Got it. Let's get this figured out. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Dodge Mechanic about your situation and connect you two. You'll be on the road in no time.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Amedee replied 6 months ago.
Hello and welcome! My name isCustomerand I can assist you with your question. Are you looking for some possible causes or would you like me to walk you through this diagnoses?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
HiCustomer my friends truck will not crank and he replaced the starter and ignition switch before I got involved trying to help him. problem was intermittent crank then eventually no crank. he replaced the WCM and lost his old one and was told by local importer of dodge that they need the old one to program the new one. I say importer because there is no dealer here on our island in the middle of the pacific ocean. closest one would be Hawaii 2600 miles away. I went through a company I usually buy PCMs from pre programmed. I asked them if they are able to program out the immobilizer/wcm like they have for me with other vehicles in the past and they said yes so we purchased one thinking the wcm is locking us out. Got the new one and still no crank. I am trying to figure out how this dodge sentry "skim" system works so I can find out if it is the PCM or the TIPM or the lack of the wcm or if the disabling of the immobilizer is even possible through programming. could not find any info or schematics for diagnosing.
Expert:  Amedee replied 6 months ago.
Hello and thank you for that information. The best way to diagnose this condition is to use a factory scanner by looking at live data and checking for codes in all of the modules on board the vehicle. However, I can explain how this system works and send you a wiring diagram. Then you will understand what is going on and which direction to go in.
Expert:  Amedee replied 6 months ago.
The first thing your going to want to do is to check to see if the PCM has communication with the key on. Any type of scanner or code reader will be able to do this. Or you can check for a reference voltage at the cam, crank or throttle body (TPS sensor) with the key on to ensure that there is a referance voltage from the PCM. Was the PCM replaced? It might be be bad. Anyway, let me explain how this system works. The WIN module sends a signal to the PCM and TIPM over the BUS circuit. From there, the TIPM supplies power to the starter motor. If anything interferes with this process, the TIPM will not send power to the starter. WIN module not operating properly, the PCM not awake, a bad TIPM or even another bad module on board the vehicle shorting out the BUS circuit can prevent communication between all modules on board the vehicle which will prevent the engine from starting. Does that make sense?
Expert:  Amedee replied 6 months ago.
So basically, what we need to do is check for codes in all of the modules and see which module is not communicating. If they all are working like they should, then we need to verify that the PCM and TIPM module see a crank request from the WIN module. Here is a wiring diagram of this circuit.
Expert:  Amedee replied 6 months ago.
I am going to be off line for a few hours today spending time with the family. Please reply back with any questions and I will repsond tonight when I get home. If I have answered your question and are happy with my assistance, please dont forget to honor your good faith deposit by rating my answer as "Excellent Service". Thank you and have a great day!
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Customer sorry for late reply we are 4 hrs behind west coast time. I do have communication from the new PCM through my scanner but unable to see communication to the other computers. Is the TIPM programmed to the PCM and WCM? Looking at the diagram I assume the Sentry Key Remote Entry Module is the same as the WCM(wireless control module) and the start wire from ignition switch runs to it then through the Data Lines to the PCM. Without the WCM or SKREM there will be no signal to the PCM to start the vehicle am I correct? If this is so, then the PCM that we purchased with the security disabled would still not work as the signal from the WCM would be missing.
Expert:  Amedee replied 6 months ago.
YES, the TIPM would need to be configured to the other modules once installed. YES, they SKIM is the WIN (same thing). NO, the yellow wire directly from the TIPM. But yes, if there is no signal or communication from the WIN/SKIM module, the engine still will not crank.