sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist

Felkins JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more

Customer Question

***** ***** felkins
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: My 02 dodge ram gas gauge doesnt work still but its also as if the costant power to my truck is broke somewhere because if the truck is off the lights also dont work and even with the truck in the cd player doesn't work i put constant Power to the cd player and the lights and cd player work and shut off and everything they should but the gas gauge still reads empty with the fill gas light on or empty
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dodge Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dodge
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 6 months ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!The radio, interior lights and power locks (if equipped) not working are being caused by lack of power on the IOD circuit. This could either be the IOD fuse is blown, there may be an internal failure in the integrated power module, or there may be a break in the IOD circuit wire between the IPM and the inside of the truck. The first thing that shoudl be done is check the fuse.The fuel gauge not working could be the sender, it's wiring, or an internal issue in the instrument cluster. Odds are the problem is the sender, although wiring issues do happen. The first thing you'll want to do is check for fault codes, and then testing of the sender wiring will be necessary.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok how and where do i check the sender i would ask and pay for something if i didnt first check the fuses as i said be for yes all interior power dosent work unless the truck is on radio,pl,int lights, nor instrument cluster lights up. When truck is started the pl, insterment cluster, and int. Lights are the only things that then power on, however i put a constant power wire from the battery to the constant power and thats when the radio started to work as well and everything then started working with the truck off as normal however the gas gauge still does not read anything but empty either way
The fuel sender wiring will be tested at the fuel pump connector on top of the fuel tank. You can either remove the tank or work from between the bed side and frame rail.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
What color wire would it be i just pulled the ecu ecm what ever you want to call it the fuse box under the hood and found a red wire thats broke would that be the case or is there another spot i need to check as well
The IOD circuit is a pink wire and can be found at pin 26 of integrated power module connector 3. The wire you believed to be red may actually be pink.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Maybe i can go see if there is also a pink wire or if that is in fact a pink wire
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Yes comparing to a red wire it is infact sold pink
Great!If it's broken in an area that you can solder it back together then do so. Alot of time the wires will break off directly at the back of the connector terminal, if so then the terminal will need to be replaced.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
This one broke tword the middle of where the pin is and the first set of electric tape
If the break is away from the connector then you can cut the bad section, splice and solder with extra wire and then seal the splices with heat shrink tubing.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok so all the lights pl cd work but still no gas gauge when i push the rest botton and turn the ignition on it says c code 27 19 then 00 00
The fuel gauge issue is going to require testing at the fuel pump connector. The sensor ground and sender pullup voltage need to be checked.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
So i still need to drop the tank
You either need to drop the tank or work from between the bed and frame rail.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
What should the readings be and how do i check just the psu do i need to ohm anything out
The black/light blue wire shoudl be grounded and you're checking the voltage on the light blue/black wire with the key on.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Lol and what should the voltage read
It should either be 5v or about 11.7.