rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor
Experience:  Since 1975

Dodge Caravan: I have a Dodge 2002 Caravan 3.3 L 6 Cyl The

Customer Question

I have a Dodge 2002 Caravan 3.3 L 6 Cyl The battery light has been coming on and I just replaced it about 30 days ago. I was driving home last evening and the rpm jumped up to about 4000 and the transmission seemed to not be engaged. Dash lights were flickering and then the transmission would reengage and be normal. Then it would do the same thing again down the road. Would alternator failure cause this scenario? Or do I have a transmission problem? I havent noticed any transmission irregularities to date.
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
Category: Dodge
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 6 months ago.
Hi, I’m Ron and I can help you.I have been in this business since 1975 and also teach automotive repair. I am confidentwe can resolve your problem together. Please understand that I don't know your skilllevel. I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle either, so it may take a few replies toget to satisfactory results. Please be patient!I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” inreturn. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If thereis any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so Ican go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help youthrough it. Absolutely the alternator can cause this. Any parts store will check the starting and charging system for you for free.Thanks, Ron