-Brad-
-Brad-, Dodge Dealership Tech
Experience:  16 Yrs Chrysler/Dodge Technician. ASE Master Certified(L-1)
10114124

04 Ram. Key won't turn. I tried tapping it with a small hammer,

Customer Question

04 Ram. Key won't turn. I tried tapping it with a small hammer, took the plastic cover off and tapped all on the sides of the cylinder. Found the hole on bottom of cylinder, and used a punch to release steering lock, but key still won't move. It's been an intermittent problem, and I could always wiggle it to get it to work, so I figured I'd get around to fixing it eventually. Nothing is working this time, so I guess I'm around to it. If I use a slide hammer, that will probably bust the column, so you got any ideas?
JA: Anything else I can tell the Dodge Mechanic before I connect you two?
Customer: No, that's about it.
JA: Got it. Let's get this figured out. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Dodge Mechanic about your situation and connect you two. You'll be on the road in no time.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  -Brad- replied 11 months ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer!!!My Name is ***** ***** I have worked at a Chrysler-Dodge-Jeep dealership for 19 years and I will do my best to help you get your vehicle repaired... It sounds like your key cylinder is bad and your tumblers are froze.. If tapping it with a hammer didn't work then you will need to either tear it out or get it to turn then press the tab and pull it out to replace it.. You can try some graphite sprayed in the key cylinder but if you can't get it to turn to remove it then your going to need to tear it out and replace it.. Try not to damage the steering column if you do have to tear it out.. I have had to do my share of them but if you can get it to turn 1 more time then when it's in the On position press the metal tab and pull the entire cylinder out so you can re key it to keep the same key.. We(Dealership) see the tumblers so you can use the same key.. I hope this helps and if you need more assistance feel free to reply, and don't forget to RATE before leaving the site!!Have a great day,Brad