Amedee
Amedee, Dodge Technician
Experience:  ASE certified tech advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

1998 dodge sport data link connector came apart. My wires

Customer Question

1998 dodge sport data link connector came apart. My wires are different colors from what is shown on this discussion
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: 1998 Dodge sport Data link connector under dash came apart. My wire colors are Purple, Black and tan, Black and green, White and purple, pink and blue, green, white and black, and pink Don't know which wire goes into which hole
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dodge Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Amedee replied 8 months ago.
Hello and welcome! Would you like a wiring diagram of the data link connector so you can put it back together correctly? Can I start by getting your VIN? Thank you!
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Yes, wiring diagram would be nice. Vin 1B7HC16Z8XS146585
Expert:  Amedee replied 8 months ago.
The VIN came back as a 99 dodge ram
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ok, not my truck, I was told 98
Expert:  Amedee replied 8 months ago.
Ok, no problem..
Expert:  Amedee replied 8 months ago.
Here are some wiring diagrams. You will have to look for the data link connector on each diagram as they are different. Once you find the DLC, then look close as they will show you the color of the wires and what pins they go in at the DLC connector.
Expert:  Amedee replied 8 months ago.
And here is a link you can use that tells you which pins are which at the DLC connector. http://www.obdii.com/connector.html
Expert:  Amedee replied 8 months ago.
I am glad I can help! It has been a pleasure working with you. Please dont forget to honor your good faith deposit by rating my answer as "Excellent Service" for assisting you today. Please let me know if you have any further questions.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** check them out
Expert:  Amedee replied 8 months ago.
Your welcome
Expert:  Amedee replied 8 months ago.
Please dont forget to rate. You should see the rating system towards the bottom of the page. Thanks and have a great day!!
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
the first diagram help some, but it only shows 4 wires going to the data link connector, one color of which I don't have and that is the violet/brown. Date of manufacture on truck label is 10/98
Expert:  Amedee replied 8 months ago.
Can you upload a detailed pic of all of the wires?
Expert:  Amedee replied 8 months ago.
Pin 3 is violette/brownPin 5 is black/tanPin 6 is Dark GreenPin 7 is Pink/Dark bluePin 11 is white/blackPin 16 is pink
Expert:  Amedee replied 8 months ago.
The white/purple or white/violette should only be for a diesel vehicle. It goes to pin 14. Here is a wiring diagram.
Expert:  Amedee replied 8 months ago.
.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
OK, non diesel
Expert:  Amedee replied 8 months ago.
Then dont worry about that wire..
Expert:  Amedee replied 8 months ago.
However, if you have that wire, you can always hook it up to pin 14
Expert:  Amedee replied 8 months ago.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** it another shot. However, we have accounted for 7 wires, still one left or is it another wire for a diesel?
Expert:  Amedee replied 8 months ago.
I would hook it up according to the way the last diagram is that I sent over. This is how it should be according to the VIN you provided me with.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
OK, thanks.
Expert:  Amedee replied 8 months ago.
Your welcome! Please dont forget to rate. Have a great day!!!
Expert:  Amedee replied 8 months ago.
Expert:  Amedee replied 7 months ago.
Hello! It'sCustomerfrom just answer. I am just checking in to see if you need any further assistance? Let me know!