Edward, Service Technician
Experience:  20 + years experience on various makes and models.

1500 Dodge Ram 2006: where is the neutral saftey switch located

Customer Question

where is the neutral saftey switch located on 2006 1500 dodge Ram.? how do you check it and how do you bypass it.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Edward replied 6 months ago.
Hello, Eddie here and I will do my best to help. The Neutral Safety Switch is going to either be located inside the transmission or on the outside of the transmission, depending on which transmission you have in your truck. Do you know what model transmission you have in your truck? Let us know, thanks.
Expert:  Edward replied 6 months ago.
Did you find it? I can give you pictures of where it is for each model transmission if you need it. It's either going to be on the side of the transmission on two models , or internal and the valve body has to come out to replace it on one model.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I looked at the transmission , there is no switch on the side.Itmust be on the inside Verle
Expert:  Edward replied 6 months ago.
Alright, the 48RE looks like this, it goes inside the transmission but is on the outside.
Expert:  Edward replied 6 months ago.
The AS68RC tranny looks like this on the outside.
Expert:  Edward replied 6 months ago.
If yours doesn't look like either of those, then you have a 42RLE and you have to pull the valve body to replace it unfortunately. If you want jump it, then I would run a hot wire right to the starter motor. and not cut into the harness there at the neutral safety switch, there is 2 wires going to the starter motor. one large gauge battery terminal connection that is always hot, and one small YELLOW/GRAY or YELLOW wire. disconnect that yellow off the starter, and run a new wire to it, and then turn your ignition switch ON, touch the other end of that wire to the positive battery terminal, (or you could even rig a push button switch inside the truck somewhere temporarily till you got it fixed). and it will start and run then, if that is the problem your having. Let me know if you have any further questions. Thank you.