rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor
Experience:  Since 1975

Durango: 2004 dodge durango, 5.7l hemi with 191000 miles. Intermittently,

Customer Question

2004 dodge durango, 5.7l hemi with 191000 miles.
Intermittently, I will start the engine, engine revs and shuts down. several attempts to start will result in a rev and shut down. My last episode included a no start after some failures. (revving and shutting down)
waiting a few minutes allows me to start and run for a month or more. hot or cold does not seem to matter.
What should i be checking
Category: Dodge
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 6 months ago.
Hi, I’m Ron and I can help you.I have been in this business since 1975 and also teach automotive repair. I am confidentwe can resolve your problem together. Please understand that I don't know your skilllevel. I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle either, so it may take a few replies toget to satisfactory results. Please be patient!I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” inreturn. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If thereis any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so Ican go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help youthrough it. 2 items need to be checked for starters, and that would be for spark at the plugs for a potential bad crank sensor, and then fuel pressure with a gauge for a possible bad fuel pump. It may be a GOOD IDEA TOO, TO CHECK FOR CODES.Thanks, Ron