Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience:  Dodge/Cummins and Chrysler Certified Master Tech
12365498

2500 diesel: The power steering on my 2001 dodge 3/4 ton w/

Customer Question

The power steering on my 2001 dodge 3/4 ton w/ cummins engine quit working. I changed out the power steering pump, and still no power steering. What else could be wrong?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to just answer. The steering gear box itself may have a failed spool valve. That would cause no power steering. Another thing is a broken coupler between the vacuum pump and the power steering pump so before you replace the steering gear box, remove the pump and check that coupler/. I hope this helps, Chris
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Would it help to know that the brakes do not have any assistance from the power steering system? In my limited knowledge, my instinct would say it's most likely the vac coupler or maybe the vac line?
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.
Ok, then it is most likely a broken coupler at the vacuum pump. Not a vacuum line or the steering gear box.Chris
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.
Ok, then it is most likely a broken coupler at the vacuum pump, and not a vacuum line or the steering gear boxChris
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ūüĎć I'll start there. Thanks!
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.
You are welcome! Please don't forget to rate my service today if I have been helpful.Thank you.Chris
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.
Let me know how it goes, and please take a minute to rate my service. I get no credit for doing this unless you do. Thaks, Chris
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So I checked the coupler, it appears fine. The vac line has suction. I jacked up the front end to function the steering back and forth hoping to work any air out of the system, then discovered fluid being forced out from the cap. Still no power steering.
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.
Start the engine with the power steering pump removed from the vacuum pump. Verify that the shaft/coupler is actually turning. If it is, then that new power steering pump must be defective. Let me know what you find. Chris
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.
Hello, just checking back to see how it is going. If my answer has helped you, please help me by leaving a rating or accepting my answer so I may be credited. Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra. It allows me to be credited for my work. Please rate or accept in a positive way. You can ask follow-up questions after you rate or accept. Thank you! Chris