Robert R
Robert R, ASE Certified Master
Experience:  Dodge Master Certified, Dodge Sprinter Certified
49095596

I have a 2001 dodge ram 1500 3.9 . I let it warm up. When I

Customer Question

I have a 2001 dodge ram 1500 3.9 . I let it warm up. When I begin to accelerate around 1200 to 1500 rpm it feels like I'm driving a massage chair. I changed the plugs, distributor cap and wires. Output sensor and u joint. It is driving me crazy. What could be the problem. I took it to a transmission place said it was fine
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: In any gear at the rpm I just mention it feels like s
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dodge Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dodge
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
In any gear the same rpm vibration or miss keeps happening.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No check engine light. Trying to find a solution to get my truck to run smooth at any rpm
Expert:  tims auto repair replied 10 months ago.
Hi, My name is ***** ***** for the delay.I will do my best to assist youdoes it run well cold?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The engine or the weather
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Rather when it's cold out? I always warm up my truck, let everything get the fluids to it.whether it's warm or cold outside. Minimum 5 minutes, max 15 before driving. Now that it's getting warmer I let it run for 5 minutes or so. Runs the same no matter if it's cold or running temp
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Any answers yet
if you go over the 1500 rpm,,does the engine then run smooth?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Yes and at 1000. It's only between 12 and 15 that's the the problem
ok..and you get no codes at all?correct?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Correct
please stand by,,someone will be right with youthanks
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Waiting for someone to answer
Expert:  Mike S. replied 10 months ago.
Are you using a code reader or a scan tool?I know sometimes a code reader will only scan for live codes and will not retrieve any from memory.I would try retrieving all the codes and see if you get any first.If you don't have a scan tool usually autozone or advance auto will retrieve them for free.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No I don't have one.. I can see if I can get one. If no codes come up when it gets scanned then what
Expert:  Mike S. replied 10 months ago.
Another way to check for misfires is cutting vacuum hoses into 1-2" lengths equal to the same # ***** cylinders, remove the spark plug cables from the distributor cap and insert these vacuum hoses into the wire and cap, then use a 12 volt test light and while idling and/or reved up whenever the misfire is occurring touch the test light to the vacuum hose, shorting out the cylinder and listen if the cylinder drops or rpm drops meaning the cylinder was working. On any that there is no drop will be the ones that aren't working, so then see if there is a spark when using the test light and if the spark is able to jump a good distance. If so, remove and check the spark plug, etc.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 10 months ago.
Like this,
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Nothing showed on the reader
Expert:  Mike S. replied 10 months ago.
Nothing what showed?On what reader?I thought you were going to try a scan tool?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
It is. I work for a car dealers. They have the right tools. Only work on bmw, acura and saab. I sent you a picture of him looking at the scan tool and code reader
Expert:  Mike S. replied 10 months ago.
I don't see np picture. Do you see it in here?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Oh I took a pic of him connect to the computer
Expert:  Mike S. replied 10 months ago.
Does the engine shake reving it in park and/or neutral?If not, perhaps this isn't a misfire at all and maybe a driveline shake. Is this why you changed u joint?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Anyways nothing showed up as bad
Expert:  Mike S. replied 10 months ago.
Where is this pic?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I'm back to the original question now
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I don't know it's just ask property now
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
You have no idea what is wrong with my rough rpm do you
Expert:  Mike S. replied 10 months ago.
Do you want me to guess or do you want me to help you diagnose it?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Help me. Yes it's why I changed the u joint. Nothing in park with the engine revved
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Can it possibly be a bad rotor... I never changed it when I did the plugs and wires and distributor
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I know it's weird. I have been looking for answers everywhere. Changing simple things. Don't know what else to do. That's why I'm here. HELP ūüė≠
Expert:  Matt C. replied 10 months ago.
Hello, I would like to see if I could help you, and I apologize for the delay.Lets see if we can help narrow this vibration down. You feel it at 1200 - 1500 regardless of what gear your in? Does it happen more at certain speeds instead of it being RPM related?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Not really. When I am driving. I live in a rural area. Lots of vehicles on the road. It doesn't matter the speed it happens in every gear . I can be going 55 and not push the motor and at the rpm mentioned it just happens
Expert:  Matt C. replied 10 months ago.
If you were to rev it up to that RPM range in neutral it still does it? By the way, is this an automatic or manual transmission?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Auto. And I tried it in park. It didn't do it. I can do it when I get in my truck around 730
Expert:  Matt C. replied 10 months ago.
I would say, if it doesn't do it while in park, try and power brake it and see if it comes back. I am wondering if it is something as simple as a broken or worn engine/transmission mount.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
What's powerbraking
Expert:  Matt C. replied 10 months ago.
Apply the emergency brake, put it in drive, use your left foot to hold down the brake and use your right foot to rev it up to to the RPM range. Don't do this for an extended period of time, just pretty much rev it up to the RPM your experiencing this vibration at.
Expert:  Matt C. replied 10 months ago.
What we are trying to do here is narrow down if it is an engine vibration, or something in the such as a drive shaft or bad tire.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
New tires. Had u joints changed. I'm not sure if the emergency brake works. Will the pedal next to the gas work. Should I have someone else there to see if the motor moves either left or right
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The shaft was fine or I would have replaced it.
Expert:  Matt C. replied 10 months ago.
It would help to have someone else there, you will be looking for excessive movement from the mounts, they should flex a little, but no big amount of moment should be seen. Your going to want to try this in drive and reverse.As long as you hold the brake pedal down hard you should be fine without the emergency brake, it is just a little reassurance.
Expert:  Matt C. replied 10 months ago.
When you try that, let me know if you felt the vibration while doing that and if the mounts had excessive movement in them. Then we will take it from there.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok I'm going to go outside and try it
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Mounts are fine. Can the drive shaft be out of balance. .. the person who helped me check it is a mechanic and mentioned that it may be out of balance
Expert:  Matt C. replied 10 months ago.
That is exactly what I was about to say after you checked the mounts. I just wanted to verify that it was not a vibration you were feeling from the engine.
Expert:  Matt C. replied 10 months ago.
It is very possible for a drive shaft to be out of balance. I would ask that mechanic if he knows anyone in your area that is able to balance drive shafts (it would be much cheaper than replacing it).
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
He told me about a place. I'm going to take it tomorrow. If it is the cure for this rolling vibrator. Lol I will ty and pay what's owed.
Expert:  Matt C. replied 10 months ago.
Haha! OK, if it is or isn't the problem, please come back and let me know what happens.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I certainly hope that is all it is. And I will
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Going to bring it tomorrow morning to get balanced
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
It cost me 64.00 to see if it's balanced. It's perfect. Now I'm still with the same problem
Expert:  Matt C. replied 10 months ago.
Hello, this is proving to be a quite a difficult thing to help you diagnose without me physically being there. To be honest with you I am not sure what else to suggest. I apologize that I was unable to help you figure this out. I am going to reopen this question and see if someone else has any ideas or suggestions.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ty
Expert:  camerontech replied 10 months ago.
hi there,im cam, a licenced diagnostic tech.you def have a tough one, every step you have taken is the right step to try to eliminate this.I have 2 things coming to mind right now. is this engine vibration or misfire?1. the harmonic balancerCan you see any issues phycically with the balancer? eg.. loose bolt or rubber coming out of the balancer, damaged.IF the outer portion has spun, this will be a vibration.2. missfire elimination.this will require a scan tool and either a missfire counter or cylinder contributionat the rpm the vibration happens, monitor the missfire counter or cylinder contribution and see if you can pinpoint it to 1 cylinder or at least cross a missfire of the list of possible problems
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Crazy question. Where's the harmonic balancer location. Sorry
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I'll check it out tomorrow morning. I work for a car dealership. But it's only acura and bmw. Some older mechanics. I'll ask one to check it out. And get back to you.
no problem.the hrmonic balancer is the main pulley that attaches to the front of the crankshaft. its what the belt or belts attach to. there is usually a rubber layer between the two steel sleeves and if this is damaged, the engine will vibratethe outer sleeve can actually seperate and will walk out.i have included a diagram. you sill see the rubber sleeve.the biggest issue is finding if this is a internal engine vibration or just a missfire that is happening at that rpm or a drive train vibration.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
If it was a misfire. Wouldn't it happen all of the time.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Is it located in front of the fan. Lower part of the motor
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Or below the fan.
Yes it's located below the fan at the front if the engine.
Misfires do not happen all if the time. Thry can be load and rpm specific.
This is where the miss fire counter and monitor comes in affect.
When you have a stubborn issue like thus you have to go through a process of elimination. Which you are doin fine
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
It's ok.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Nothing wrong with it
i think this is going to take a experienced tech to have a hands on approach to this.you might have to visit a couple of shops to find a senior head diagnostic tech that can find your problem as it is likely engine or tranmission vibration.i think this will just require a more seasoned tech
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
So nobody can help. I thought a thorough mechanic new everything. Apparently they are fallible also like everyone is only human
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thanks for the day. I still don't have any answers to what I'm looking for
we are all experienced techs on here,i have been searching for other possible issues through my line of techs i usei personaly have over 25 years of diagnostics , but some problems cannot be solved over a computer and needs a hand on senior diagnostic tech.i am going to open up the line again for another tech to see if they have any other suggestions.im sorry i could not help furtherill opt out for a another techplease do not reply so it does not lock it to me again and you will be on the board in a few seconds
Expert:  Robert R replied 10 months ago.
Hello, welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is*****'m a Certified Auto Technician with 28+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. please keep in mind that I may need to ask questions of you before I can answer. When you reply please feel free to add as much detailed information as possible pertaining to your concern. I've seen problems similar to your concern caused by a stretched timing chain. This causes the distributor to go "Out of Sync" with the crank sensor and it can cause some strange drivability issues. At this time I HIGHLY recommend to take it to someone who has a compatible scanner that can set the "Distributor Sync Signal". This procedure CANNOT be done with a timing light, it must be done with a compatible scanner to correctly index the distributor. Try this and let me know if this works for you. Keep me posted and let me know if you have any additional questions... Thank you, Robert
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Can it be the rear bearings are shot. And is the one on each side. It's a***** I'm not sure if it's posi...
Not really. If the rear axle bearings were shot it would be a grinding sound that would be speed related and NOT engine RPM related.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Nothing is wrong with the timing
What procedure was used to check the timing?
I have some additional ideas, just let me know the above and we can go from there...Keep me posted... Thank you, Robert
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
A wrench on the crank shaft. And a timing scan. It wasn't easy to do but it was done.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I helped the mechanic do this because I'm not really that confident in certain areas of the motor
I have also seen the oil pump/distributor drive gear (the one that is driven by the camshaft and runs the distributor) wear out and cause erratic timing at certain RPM's. This is fairly easy to check, just remove the distributor cap and grab the rotor and attempt to rotate the distributor shaft by hand, if it moves more than a degree or two I would suspect a worn gear, this would require replacement of the drive gear assembly and possibly the camshaft...Click Here to see the shaft that I am referring about.If you find that the gear is worn out on this shaft, you will need to replace the shaft bushing also as it will be worn out also...Keep me posted and let me know if you have any additional questions... Thank you, Robert
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok
Hello, This is an automated response that was scheduled when I posted my answer. I just wanted to check in with you to see if you need more help with your concern. A non rated question normally times out within 7 days, so I wanted to stay in contact with you to see if the problem has been solved. If I have helped you resolve your concern and you have already rated my response, I want to say "Thanks!", and let you know you can still follow up on this concern if needed. Also to let you know you can bookmark "http://www.justanswer.com/car/expert-Robertr/?r=SprinterRob&bt=0" My Profile Page "" (Bookmark this link) in case you have another automotive question in the future. Make sure to begin your question with "Robert R" so I will be able to easily find it. If we are still working on your concern, please post a reply so we can continue. If you are happy with my answer and have not rated my response, please do so asap to complete the transaction. It is greatly appreciated as I recieve no compensation until you do so... If your not satisfied with my answer, BEFORE rating, please post a reply with a short explanation as to why. I may have a better explanation for you... It also helps me to refine my answers to help future customers more thoroughly and efficiently. My goal is to answer your question to your complete satisfaction, and would like to earn your business now and in the future. Thank you and thanks for using JustAnswer! Robert
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Having a problem with the weather and doing what you asked
I hear you there... Take your time. Post a reply when ever you're ready to continue...Thank you, Robert ______________________________________If you need additional information, don't hesitate to ask, I am happy to help as long as necessary to help solve your concern. Remember, a "Positive" Rating will not close this question, You can post a reply here whenever you want, even after rating my answer! Thank you!Robert
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Could it possibly be a bad fan clutch and out of balance fan
That is very possible and easy to test. First before starting the vehicle, grab the fan blade and wiggle it to check for looseness. If loose, replace fan clutch. If ok, try to rotate the fan blade. You should be able to rotate it but it should offer a bit of resistance to rotating.Next, start the vehicle and check the fan operation. IF wobbling, you may have a bad fan blade. If ok, have someone rev the engine while you look at the fan. check for abnormal vibrations or noises from the fan clutch. Replace it if any looseness and or vibrations are present. Keep me posted and let me know if you have any additional questions... Thank you, Robert
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Is there supposed to be spacers between the fan blade and clutch? ?? And a spacer between the fan clutch and pulley
No, there should be NO spacers between the fan clutch and blade or the clutch and pulley. These should be bolted directly using NO spacers.Is it possible for you to take pics of yours and post them here? I may be able to offer some advice if I can see this for myself..Click Here for Document Upload InstructionsKeep me posted... Thank you, Robert