sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

Name is ***** ***** I have a dead Abarth! JA: Thanks. Can

Customer Question

Hi. Name is ***** ***** I have a dead Abarth!
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Won't crank over. Battery volts good. EVIC says hill assist unavailable and ESC unavailable.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dodge Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 8 months ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!There are many things that can prevent an engine from cranking. There may be a starter , cable or connection issue, the powertrain control module may not be awake, it could be an immobilizer or vehicle communications issue, or the key itself may have failed.Did the problem happen after a repair, attempted jump start, etc?How was the battery's condition verified?What is the year, make and model?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
13 fiat 500 abarth. Throwing a p0703 code, and the evic says hill assist and ESC unavailable. As a weird twist, the blower fan stopped working unless the a/c is on. I find it odd that it won't crank... But never saw the fault until I was driving to work and it just flipped on. No bumps no water... Thought if I recycled the ignition it would clear. Nope. No crank.
P0703-00 is for the performance of the brake switch. If you have push button start and the brake switch isn't working then it won't crank as it has to see the brake pressed before the starter can engage.Do you have pushbutton start?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Nope. Key start.
Do you have an automatic or manual trans?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Manual
Do you hear the fuel pump run when the key is turned on?Have you tried a second key?Do you have an actual scan tool to be able to read data?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
All three yes.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
The code reader is pretty low level but it did show me the 0703 code and allowed me to clear it. I did a reboot on the ECU after clearing the code and got the same result. No crank. Àcts like I'm not pushing in the clutch.
It's a code reader rather than a scan tool then, correct? You can't look at the clutch position switch, ignition switch position, security data, etc?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I'll have to swing back by the car today and look but I don't think so. Could get a better scan tool. Worth checking if brakes lights are working I assume?
You can check the brake lights but if you don't have pushbutton start then that shouldn't be related to the no start issue.Check fuses while you're there if you haven't already.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I checked all of em with a volt meter and all checked good. Swapped the start relay, T20 I think, with another like relay. Nada. I should be there in an hour if I can find someone open with a better scanner.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I'm looking at what scanners Advance has... I hate to ask this, but would the actron cell scan get us into the right spots? An app has to be better than the tool I have now. Acton as well, but pretty cheap. Was wrestling problems with my daughter's Jeep and it did OK but that as mostly crank sensors etc
Is it Actron U-Scan? That looks to be just a code reader rather than a scan tool that can monitor data. The ability to monitor data is what you're looking for.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I'll go to the car and see what I can see with what I have. I know there is some data available. Be there in 30.
Great!If you have a voltmeter it would be a good idea to take it along.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Will do.
Great!
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
At the car and connected. Have an actron cp9575. P0703 still there.
Are you able to see the state of the clutch switch and ignition switch?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Don't think so. Several pieces of data but I don't see an abbreviation that looks like either of those.
What data are you able to see?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
New wrinkle. I found a bad fuse. It starts. Still the ESC and hill assist unavailable tho. Stupid meter lied to me yesterday.
Have you cleared codes now to see if the P0703 returns after replacing the fuse? The brake switch issue is most likely what is causing these other lights.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Disregard previous. Cleared the code, hit the brakes and everything cleared. I'm an idiot. Thanks so much for the help!!!
Great, I'm glad to hear it!